Ignition switch wiring

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by Satch, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Satch

Satch Member

Hi all,
    I am restoring a second series Chev V-8 truck. The start is operated on the key on this one. I also have installed the fuse junction box. I am a little confused. It seems like the ignition switch has 4 positions - accessory, off, on and start. If I follow the wiring diagram, I take one wire that is live when the key is in the on position to the fusebox. How would you use the accessory position when that is not taken to the fusebox? In other words, the only way I get power at the fuse box is 1. Always live and 2. when the key is in the on position. There is no power there when the key is in the accessory position. Am I wiring this right? What would run off the accessory position in these trucks anyways?
    Thanks again for all the help.

2. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

If it is a stock ignition switch, (the kind where you can pull the key when the ignition is on) then there is no accessory side to the switch. All you have is a lock position, unlock/off, on and start position...Big Tim :cool:

3. FLORIDA APACHE

FLORIDA APACHE Member

ignition switch

Mine is a 3 position just like Big Tims.

4. drivea55

drivea55 Member

5. drabo

drabo Member

ACC should go to a set number of fuses on the fuse block. If your aftermarket fuse block doesn't have those provisions then you just don't use the ACC position.

6. Satch

Satch Member

Thanks guys. So what is the "lock" position on the switch for?

7. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

When you unlock the switch you can then take the keys out and start the engine without the keys being in the switch. Not a good idea though if you forget to lock the switch and leave your truck sitting unattended...

8. tsilvasr61

tsilvasr61 Member

What would run off the accessory position in these trucks anyways?

The only thing would be the radio. What you do is connect a second positive to the battery side of the radio fuse (one from "ON" & one from accessory). That way you can play the radio when you park and making out with your girlfriend. :) This will keep you from having to turn your key to "ON" just to play the radio. Also if the radio is only connected to "ON" you could damage your coil/points just playing the radio when parked. If the radio has a direct positive feed so you can play the radio when parked and you forget to turn your radio off you kill your battery (not good).

Just make sure the "ON" feed to the radio is a separate feed (not the feed for your ignition circuit) or the accessory feed to the radio will power your ignition circuit. This means 2 wires from "ON", one to ignition, lights etc. & one to just radio and any other accessory device. Hope this makes sense to you. I can also draw it if that helps.

That all I have to say about that :D