advice for the newby

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by drivea55, Jan 18, 2012.

1. drivea55

drivea55 Member

Okay guys, I've decided to change my wheels to 5 lug, so that I can put on the Cragars that I want. I just don't like the look of the 6 spoke SS'. The front is no issue, as long as our host will allow me to exchange the rotors I've already purchased. But, I need advice on how to deal with the rear axles, since I'm just rebuilding the original drum brakes. I've considered using adapters, but I don't like having the wheels pushed out 2". What I need is who do I inquire with for the proper fitting 5 lug axles, and what should I ask them? I hope this makes sense.
    Thanks in advance for all the help,
    Woody

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  2. drabo

drabo Member

3. drivea55

drivea55 Member

Thanks Drabo,
    I went to their site, and it looks like they only go back to 60' on the trucks.
    But, I talked to a co-worker today and he suggested a machine shop here in Houston, that specializes in this. They supposedly do very presice work converting. This will certainly be a lot cheaper than finding new axles. I was forced to purchase the adapters from ebay that I bid on. I didn't meet the criteria for retracting my bid. Hopefully, the seller will refund the money, with of course some sort of restocking fee ;)
    I think this new plan will work out just fine.
    Woody

4. AZ58Cameo

AZ58Cameo Member

I am Probably Totally Wrong On this, But was It mentioned That a Passenger Car, say
    Around 55-59 Have Five Lug Wheels? and You Could Swap Them Out To Front Axle
    & Rear End? If You Could Find One! I Am Probably Wrong on This But It's Just a Thought!
    Allen

5. drivea55

drivea55 Member

Allen,
    I shopped extensively for axles that would fit, and apparently, they all have different length, diameter, and splines. Nothing matched my truck. As far as the front goes, I'm putting on disc, so I just need to get our host to let me make an exchange.

6. AZ58Cameo

AZ58Cameo Member

Hey Woody,
    I am Thinking It Was 70's Year Monte Carlo Now, That Had Same Spacing and Five Lug!
    Maybe Someone Can Totally Correct Me On This For My Sake.
    Big Tim probably Knows!!! Any Way Good Luck With The Build!
    We Need More picture's!!
    Allen