Noise when letting off the gas

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by put-put, Jan 23, 2012.

1. put-put

put-put Member

When I let my foot off the gas, I get a loud noise. If I put the clutch in, the noise stops. Once the truck slows down to 15 -20 MPH, the noise goes away.

there is no noise when parked with the engine at idle or higher RPM.

Need info on potential solutions.

The plate on the Clutch housing is tight.

thanks!

2. spika

spika Member

I'd have to say possibly throwout bearing? Not sure on this vintage, but that sounds pretty typical for 'bout any other application. Guys, I'm sure there's more opinions on this...???

I know my better half has complained about the noise when I'm letting off some gas as well, but it's the smell similar to hot clutch lining that tends to offend most people...:eek:

Tom

3. fab51

fab51 Member

Could it possibly be simply transmission whine? I know at times my transmission is quite noisy. Does it happen in any certain gear? Does the noise change with RPM's? Have you checked your transmission oil level lately? Sometimes, the rear seal of the transmission will leak and let all of your transmission oil run down the torque tube into the rear end.

4. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

I had a flywheel come loose once and it would make a loud chattering noise when letting off of the throttle and shifting gears...Big Tim :cool: