New seat & wheels for my 1968 C20..?

Discussion in '1967-1972' started by ChevyMitch, Jan 30, 2012.

1. ChevyMitch

ChevyMitch Member

What can I pick up for a seat out of a salvage yard from a newer Chevy truck for my 68 C20 that will bolt in/on and work?
    I need a new bench seat or bucket console.
    I also would like to find some 18 or 20 inch stock GM rims that will bolt on without being too different or rubbing, etc.
    I went from the original 17.5's to 16's, but would like something taller.

Thanks

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Parts Hunting

You left out the critical information :

WHERE you are located .

How many lugs do you need ? .

I just ordered up some 30" O.D. Falken LT Radials in 235 15" .

Many tire stores will have catalogs that give you the O.D. , I always buy by the O.D. as I too , need tall tires on my shop truck .

3. ChevyMitch

ChevyMitch Member

Its a C20, so 8 luggs.

I phoned several salvage yards in Omaha, but nobodys knows much or wants to.

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Junkyards

Sadly ;

The day of the Junkyard that knows _anything_ or cares , too , is long gone .

Nevertheless , I source many parts from them , I just have to cultivate a good repore with them so they'll let me go look for what I want , they _always_ say
    " nah , we don't have that " and NO ONE knows their entire inventory , no one .

Keep looking ! most 8 lugs use the same stud spacing , now you need to find out what the back spacing is .

Maybe your local craigslist or Green Sheet , Thrifty Nickle ? .

5. drabo

drabo Member

Classic Trucks ran a story about this about 6-7 years ago. You can use a 1999-2006 bench out of a Chevy/GMC truck and you will then have three point belts. These seats have the belts built into them. They are a little wider than the stock unit but it does fit. You might have to make some modifications to the seat to make it work but with a little tinkering it is possible. This is what I plan to do to mine in the future.

6. ChevyMitch

ChevyMitch Member

WOW!

Exactly, what I was looking for, thank you drabo..:)

Next are the rims.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  7. ChevyMitch

ChevyMitch Member

I would like to replace the bumpers too with a larger drop down in the rear and some sort of guard in the front.

8. ChevyMitch

ChevyMitch Member

Im finding some seats, but the salvage guy says they are all "powered" types.
    Is there anything else that is a GM bench type that I can put it there instead?

9. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Truck Seats

You need to find a scrapyard that handles old Utility or Munincipal trucks , they'll be base models , maybe out in the boonies or near Farming areas ?.

FWIW , I ran a junkyard for years and I can tell you , NO ONE ever knows their entire stock , you should go looking in the yard , tell them you want tp choose a core seat for recovering , take a tape measure .

Don't overlook the Self - Service Yards , they're everywhere across America and loaded with 90's & newer rigs... typically Tradesman rigs that have thrashed interiors , good for your need .

10. ChevyMitch

ChevyMitch Member

drabo,, did you ever try this?
    Im getting ready to take some measurements and maybe try it.
    I would rather just bolt something in the there that fits and be done with it.

11. Twisters 4x4

Twisters 4x4 Member

Well Mitch,
    what did you come up with?

12. c10ironhead

c10ironhead Member

I was going to check into 2007 Silverado seats with fold down console to put in my 72 c10. I. A welder so I can fab up mounting brackets to make work. Any way good luck.