Do I have the only 305 V6 in the wo

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by PTAirco, Apr 15, 2004.

1. PTAirco

PTAirco Guest

I have just bought a 63 GMC Fenderside (no, not stepside - that's Chevy!)with a freshly overhauled 305 V6. Yes, VEE SIX cylinder. I have not come across many people selling parts for these and I am looking for a basic electronic ignition sytem for it. Most say say "except for V6...".

Also, all 63 GMC's I have seen have the twin headlight grille; mine has singles a la Chevrolet, but no lettering on in it. Non-standard?

More questions: Where can I get a speedometer drive for this vehicle; mine is broken. It has a Muncie 4 speed (with-tow-your-house-down-the-street first gear).

Does anyone know of a source for reasonable priced vintage radios, working or not?

Any advice appreciated regarding this particular vehicle.
    Three more months and it should be running.

Peter

2. trustyrusty65

trustyrusty65 Member

RE: Do I have the only 305 V6 in th

It sounds like you've got a good project on your hands. I don't personally know anything about the GMC six cylinder motors, but http://www.6066gmctrucks.org should be of some help. It sounds like the grille is just a replacement chevy unit without the Chevrolet emboss. I can't imagine that a local parts store wouldn't have a speedometer drive for your trans. If not, I would see if anything else used the same drive. Ebay might be a good place for the drive otherwise and for the radio too. Last week I found a cherry pair of '61 dual headlight chevy grille bezels there on ebay for $25 for the pair. You just have to be patient in the quest but these things do show up.

3. 63 gmc stepside

63 gmc stepside Member

RE: nope i have one

i have a 63 gmc stepside v/6 305,and i'm yanking everything out to put a 350.if you are interested let me know i'll sell you the whole engine really cheap

4. PTAirco

PTAirco Guest

RE: nope i have one

Where are you located? Actually my engine is completely overhauled top to bottom and according to the sales blurb from the 60's will outlive me. (I am inclined to believe it, it is amazingly well designed and built in that respect.) But if you're close and it's cheap...? Just don't throw it away yet.

5. 63 gmc stepside

63 gmc stepside Member

RE: v/6 305

i'm out of san antonio tx,and i'll let it go for $150.00