parking brake missing

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by dbliss, Mar 20, 2004.

1. dbliss

dbliss Member

I recently bought a '60 C-10 and it has no parking brake - no lever, no cables, nothing at the rear drums except a hole on the top inside of the drum housing that may or may not be for the parking brake. It has a 350 auto transmission and newer engine.

Problem is, a parking brake is required in Texas for all vehicles 1960 and newer.

Any ideas on the easiest route to go? Are there some after-market kits? I wont use it other than to pass inspection.

Any ideas would be great!

2. cowboy

cowboy Member

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Mar-20-04 AT 11:20 PM (CST)]I remember an article that did a think on a pinion yoke mounted parking brake. its was a disc and caliper set up. You could contact Classic truck magizine to see which back article it was in.
    Cowboy

3. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

I think the "easiest" way to get a parking brake would be to go with Lokar's setup. It would be a floor mount in the center, and you would need to also use Lokar e-brake cables. The handle could mount sideways to stay flush to the seat.

Your other option is to try and piece together all the factory stuff like the handle under the steering column and crossmember that the e-brake stuff is mounte to near the rear of the trans. The front and rear cables can be had from aftermarket suppliers. That solution would be time consuming and require some work to get it all to work right.

The Lokar setup is pricey, ( about $200 for everything you will need ) but it will go in in a few hours time.

Dennis

4. dbliss

dbliss Member

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Mar-25-04 AT 10:18 AM (CST)]I have looked at some Lokar solutions - one is a disk brake mounted to the drive pinion ($350!). Is this what you mean? Or, is there something as part of the transmission (it is a Chevy 350 Auto.) that I just need to connect to?

The only e-brakes I have worked on in the past attach to the rear drums. There is a hole that could be for a cable - but whatever parts may have been inside the drums for the e-brake are long gone.

Thanks for your help.

5. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Sorry for the delay in responding, missed your post completely.

>I have looked at some Lokar solutions - one is a disk brake
    >mounted to the drive pinion ($350!). Is this what you mean?

No,
    > Or, is there something as part of the transmission (it is a
    >Chevy 350 Auto.) that I just need to connect to?

NO,
    >
    >The only e-brakes I have worked on in the past attach to the
    >rear drums. There is a hole that could be for a cable - but
    >whatever parts may have been inside the drums for the
    >e-brake are long gone.

The Lokar stuff connects to the rear drum(s).
    You will need those inside rear drum components to hook the Lokar stuff into.
    >
    >Thanks for your help.

Yer Welcome !!

Dennis

6. asfrchief

asfrchief Guest

What part of Texas are you in? I have a 61 c-10 I am parting out and all te parking brake parts are there. My e-mail is asfrchief@sbcglobal.net let me know if I can help. chief