where did this come from

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by 51 HHR, Feb 5, 2012.

1. 51 HHR

51 HHR Member

I looked at my engine serial number "FII09B "
    and it does not look like it comes from a truck originally.
    I looked at several of the older posts but could not find any info leading me to where this is from.
    any Ideas?
    Bill

2. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Bill , I'll bet if you look closer, you'll find that II is actually 11. Starting in '57, Chevy changed it's engine serial number system. F stands for the Flint, Mi engine assembly plant, 1109 is the production date of Nov 9. The B denotes a 235 passenger car engine w/powerglide tranny. That numbering system doesn't specify a year any more after '56, so, unless one knew what it originally came out of, it's anyone's guess.

3. 51 HHR

51 HHR Member

thanks ken

Thanks Ken,
    I had figured it was out of a car since the oil filler was in the middle of the valve cover. I was hoping to know what year it was but i guess knowing that it is atleast post 57' will have to suffice. I am taking the head off to have guides and valves done hoping that will fix the smoking problem I had this year. I was going to replace the engine with another butI have had no luck finding a core to build up.
    Bill

4. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Bill, while you're at it, jot down the casting number on the block and cylinder head. The casting #'s are easy to identify and can give you a range of years that a particular block or head was used.

5. 51 HHR

51 HHR Member

Block Number

Ken
    I had my 6 year old write down the block number for me last night
    " 3769716 " She wasnt sure if the first number was a 3 or an 8 and neither could I without getting upside down and inverted.
    Bill

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Morning Bill ;

FWIW , I don't know why but the 1957 Passenger car 235 is the very highest production full pressure 235 engine Ive ever seen ~ I don't know if Generous Motors Corp. reduced the price in 1957 or what but if you bother to check the date codes , you'll soon see this is so .

In any case , since your original complaint was excessive smoking , I'd assume you're going to at least replace the piston rings as plopping a new head on an old bottom end , usually results in smoking under throttle although it may run great .

I'd also seriously consider replacing all 6 pistons an using " gapless" piston rings ~ they increase power by about 10 % and by reducing crankcase blow by pressure to nearly nil , also reduce oil weeping and leakage....

I know thi$ i$n't what you wanted to hear *but* doing the full job once is the smart thing to do as it should then out last you .

7. fab51

fab51 Member

I agree with Nate here...it is only a matter of time before you will rebuild the whole thing. Happened to me. I took the head, had it completely done...surfaced, 3 angle valve job, guides, etc. It was only 3 short years and about 5000 miles later that I had the bottom end done. In the long run, it will be easier to do it all at once.

8. 51 HHR

51 HHR Member

Engine rebuild

Nate i dont have the time to do a rebuild this year. I am still looking for a core engine to rebuild and then do a swap. But it had been suggested that my smoke issue may be blocked return ports in the head and oil build up on top of the engine and then getting sucked in past the valve guides. So I am just going to get the head done this year and see how it goes. With what i have removed so far there is an incredible amount of sludge built up and there was just enough clearance along the push rods to allow them to go up and down. Ill give the bottom end another year atleast and hopefully find an donor engine between now and and next year, all the ones i have looked at so far have not been complete either no covers or no water pumps and just rusted to all hell to the point where gaskets wont seal or they were cracked from being dropped or whatever. I think in these parts the well has run dry on these engines I may need to havea friend out west start looking for me.
    Bill

9. 52wasp

52wasp Member

the well has NOT dried up!

Bill,
    To quote Nate (or at least paraphrase his mantra), there are guys out there yanking 235's out of their (insert make and model Chevrolet here) to stuff V8's in all the time. I think the last time I searched Craigslist, I found 2 COMPLETE 235's, w/ 3-speeds attached. For short money to boot. Searchtempest.com might be better, as you can cast a larger net than your local CL. I won't say I "guarantee" you'll find one, but I think you will! If it was "just" a 216 you were looking for, I only have 2 of them. I am one of the "yanking the six-cylinder out" guys.

Good luck!

10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Engine OVERHAUL

O.K. Bill ;

Please notice I didn't say ' rebuild ' as that's not often necessary , these engines were designed to have the head yanked off and the oil pan dropped for routine service and periodic overhaul ~ you take it all apart at the same time , then the next day you drop off the head and order up the new bearing shells , pistons & rings , the parts usually come in first so by the time the head is ready , you're just about to put the oil pan back on....

The sludge thing is really serious , I wish more folks would follow my simple advice on it : Tune it sharpish then change the oil using 5W-whatever Synthetic oils and DRIVE THE DARN THING in 50 ~ 100 miles do a BLISTERING HOT OIL & FILTER CHANGE and most of the sludge will come out with the drain oil ~ some times it takes two or three HOT oil changes to get the sludge out .

Then , you can properly diagnose it and begin making a game plan .

In any case , do scrape , dig out all the sludge you can whilst the head is off .
    I highly suggest dropping the pan as it's going to be full of sludge too , especially the oil pump intake screen .

11. 51 HHR

51 HHR Member

THanks for teh tip on search tempest I did not know that existed. I tried it and within 125 miles from me there is only one 235 engine though it coems with the trans guy wants $1000 only 70000 miles on it original
    Bill

12. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Cheap 235's

You've gotta keep beating the bushes ~ how long has he been trying to sell that 235 ? NO ONE is ever going to give him $1K for it , 70,000 miles can be a lot of miles , you can't assume anything .

Offer him $250 *if* it passes your inspection and a compression test .

13. 51 HHR

51 HHR Member

bush beating

I scanned Craiglist two weeks ago and it was not there this is the first time i have seen his add. though this is the first complete motor i have seen advertised since before christmas
    Bill