Stance

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by 51oleblue, Mar 22, 2012.

1. 51oleblue

51oleblue Member

hey guys -
    anybody got a good inexpensive way to drop my truck down a bit ?
    air bags are out for now , i was thinking lowering blocks in the rear and cut the coils in the front.
    i have the original 51 frame with a chevy 10 bolt rear and a mustang 2 front end.
    not looking to go down alot just get a couple of inches for a better , more level stance. any thoughts would be helpful.
    Thanks
    Joe

2. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

You could put a set of front shackles on the rear, they are a little shorter and pull a couple of leafs out. You might want to try some air shocks if you want to haul a load after that....Big Tim :cool:

3. sidewynder

sidewynder Member

I always cringe

at the thought of cutting the coils. Yes, it gets the desired results (stance), but at a price (diminished handling and performance). Depending on fundage, I would recommend dropped spindles in front. They aren't overly expensive in most cases, and they keep your steering geometry, and suspension travel where it is designed to be (and makes it easier for the alingment tech since the specs are more likely to be in the book;)). The only issue I have had with mine was a freak bump with the wheel turned to the lock caused the upper control arm to shear off the head of a caliper pin :eek: (would happen regardless of lowering technique) fortunately the rust held the pin in place until I discovered the headless pin :rolleyes:

Bob