D i y ????

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Guest5979, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

anybody know the best way to remove the pins on the door hinges with doing any damage to anything.
    thanks
    Robert

2. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Very carefully. I oiled them down and knocked them out with a drift and hammer.

3. steve l

steve l Member

Robert -

The best way to remove the old pins is to place the hinges in a bucket (or some other storage container), store the bucket in your attic where you can't see them, and then forget about the old hinges. Then go to our host or some other online parts store for old trucks and order new hinges :D:D:D

All joking aside, after trying to drill mine out, making a wood contraption to pound them out, and then hurting one of my fingers really bad by trying to pound them out, I decided it was not worth the chance of injury and I would just buy new hinges.

4. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

stuck pins

Thanks I will go back to them used a hammer and nothing tryed the air hammer nothing happend but took a chunk out of my finger so I will try later.
    Robert

5. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

Try soaking them down with a penitrent then heat up the hinge not the pin with a torch then drive them out with a air chisel. I've never done this but it seems like it would work. It works on other situations like this....Good luck .....Big Tim :cool:

6. steve l

steve l Member

Question for you Big Tim

I am willing to go back and visit trying to get the pins out. You recommend soaking them in a penetrating solution. What solution would you recommend for that?

Also, how do you heat up the hinge but not the pin? It would seen that even if you heat up the outside of the hinge, the heat will eventually travel to the pin.

The air chisel is a good idea. I was trying to beat them out manually before. I have a hammer drill that I might use (just put it in hammer only mode) which I am sure would accomplish the same thing.

7. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

What you are trying to do with the torch is expand the hinge material away from the pin. You're right , the pin will heat up eventually but the hinge material will heat up and expand away from the pin before the pin get's too hot. I have never had a preference when it comes to penetrating oil, but if you soak it first then heat it, the heat will draw the oil in between the hinge and the pin. The air chisel is OK if you get it on the first try, but you risk compressing the pin which can cause it to expand and make it even tighter than it already is. A press is the best way if you have this option available to you...Big Tim :cool:

8. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Removing pins

Take the hinges of the door and oil them thouroughly with some penetrating oil. Then use a torch and heat them up and punch them out.If this does`nt work you can drill them out and buy overzise pins from our host.

Martinius.

9. 51 HHR

51 HHR Member

My trick

Though I have not tried to remove the hinge pins one of the tricks We have used is to put a penetrant oil called " Mouse Milk " on them and let them soak, then weld a bolt to them take a bolt the same diameter as the hinge pin or close and weld it to the pin, let it cool to room temp then take a slap hammer with a hook end on it and pull at it with the slap hammer.
    The heat from welding will expand the pin some and help break the crusties that are holding it together and will also give some clearance along with the penetrant oil it does the job. The penetrant oil alone allowed me to remove all my manifold bolts without a single one breaking though I did soak them with the stuff for about two weeks. We get Mouse Milk from an aviation supplier but it is safe for food handling so it says but it is great stuff and works better than any other I have ever used over the last 40 years.
    Bill
    http://www.mousemilk.com/

10. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Bill, sounds like a good plan! One question though! How the hell do you milk a mouse? Sounds udderly impossible!:D

Sorry, couldn't help myself!;)

Ken:D

11. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

Wy would you want to expand the pin and not the hole it was in, wouldn't it have an adverse effect?

12. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Milking Your Mouse

....It takes really small fingers :p .

13. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Ken: The brown lady mice give chocolate mouse milk.

14. 1 Hotrod

1 Hotrod Member

When you weld on something and it cools it contract or shrinks. It's a method used for removing bearing races.

15. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

Take the hinges of the door and oil them thouroughly with some penetrating oil. Then use a torch and heat them up and punch them out.If this does`nt work you can drill them out and buy overzise pins from our host.

Your original post made it look like you were punching them out while they were still hot.....

16. 51 HHR

51 HHR Member

Mouse Milk

HOnestly dont know how they get it out of them !! I just know the stuff works great
    The welding technique was passed down to my Boss when he was on a pit crew at Indy back in 1973 or 74 most effective for removing broken studs in cylinder heads. Need to let it cool down before trying to take it out but the expansion while heating breaks the grip of corrosion and I have been eble to remove broken studs by hand after doing this, it helps to be good with a TIG welder to do this.
    Bill

17. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

update

Got the pins out with a lot of help from my neighbor
    a gas torch lots of heat and A.B. F. H
    Robert:eek:

18. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

oversize

Anybody know if you have to drill the hindge brackets for new pins a little oversize. I bought two sets from two differrent vendors and both sets are a little oversize just want to make sure before I jack something up.
    Thanks Robert

19. SinclairChevy

SinclairChevy Member

My hinge rebuild kit came with oversize pins. The instructions give the size of drill bit needed for the new pins, but I don't have it in front of me. I'll try to dig up the instruction sheet in the morning and let you know.

Damon

20. SinclairChevy

SinclairChevy Member

Ok, so curiosity got the better of me and I wandered out to the garage to look it up tonight instead. I got my kit as a Christmas gift, but I believe it came from our host. The instructions for the 1947-1954 Door Hinge Rebuilt Kit state:

1. After hinge has been removed from door, drive out old pin with punch and hammer. It may be necessary to soak in WD-40 if badly rusted.

2. With an 11/32" drill bit, enlarge holes in arm and bracket to accomodate the new, oversized pin. Trim off any excess length of pin.

3. Clean and paint bracket and arm.

4. Apply a small amount of grease to inside hole of arm.

5. Slide arm into bracket, aligning holes in both parts.
    * Note: On upper hinge, install detent springs at this time.

6. Set assembly on solid surface and with a hammer, drive new pin into hole until fully seated.
    *Note: Drive pin into correct side of hinge, so that when hinge is mounted on door, head of pin will be on the top of hinge.
    *Caution: Do not file on pin, it must fit tight!!!

7. Brass bushings are only to be used if hinge is work beyond the point of 11/32" pin not fitting tightly in hinge.

I've drilled my hinges and brackets, but I've yet to paint and assemble everything.

Hope this helps!

Damon