Glass setting tape

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by 1 Hotrod, Mar 30, 2012.

1. 1 Hotrod

1 Hotrod Member

Which side goes toward the glass, rubber or cloth? Thanks

2. cantdrivemall

cantdrivemall Member

Better yet, just use a bead of black silicone in the window frame, set the glass in, come back the next day and trim off the excess.
    No more trying to hammer it together with a rubber mallet, and chasing it all over the workbench.
    Ive made lots of $$ doing it that way, you dont have to take the door apart,,and water never seeps in to turn the glass cloudy!

3. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Installing the tape or using silicone ?

Cantdrivemall

When you figure out could you be kind to take a picture of the tape install in your door window glass. I am not shore either wich side it has to be installed ?

Thanks Martinius.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  4. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

I use urethane glass setting caulk. When it dries, it doesn't come out. I used the glass tape and my vent window moves around in it's frame.

5. 1 Hotrod

1 Hotrod Member

Called the tech guy at Classic parts and was told the rubber side goes towards the glass.

6. 77 Chevy

77 Chevy Member

The glass setting tape needs to be soaked in a 30 weight motor oil for 5 minutes, then the rubber side goes towards the glass and the cloth side into the channel. After 24 hours the oil causes the tape to swell up and hold the glass in place. After that you just come back and trim the extra off with a razor blade. Thats how they were installed at the factory.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  7. 1 Hotrod

1 Hotrod Member

Thanks, that's what I thought but when I took one apart it was opposite of what I had heard.