Rocker Panels

Discussion in '1967-1972' started by Marvs70, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Marvs70

Marvs70 Member

Hey Guys, I own a 1970 Stepside. The rockers need to be changed out. I can do this myself. I just wanted to know if anyone has tackled this task? I'm sure some bracing will need to be done before removing the rockers and also door alignment will need to be done before installing new one's. I just need to know if anyone has encountered problems while doing this change so I'll know what to look for? Thanks for your help.:)

2. dozlert

dozlert Member

I would also like to know. Are you going to weld it in?

3. OLDIRON69

OLDIRON69 Member

I replaced both rockers on my neighbors '70 a few years back. I reccomend buying the origional, not the repops. I cut out the rusted metal and just used what I needed on the passenger side. The driver side was a total mess so I cut it out and welded the new one in. I filled them solid, tack welding the seams at the front and rear. If you don't have a MIG with a gas setup...take it to a shop IMO.

4. Ol Mater

Ol Mater Member

It's not the funnest job in the world but it's doable. I just finished installing factory rockers (along with pans and posts) in my 70 and found the rockers to be the easiest part of the project to install. Best tool I ever bought was a weld cutter to get the spot welds out. Saved me alot of time and damage to the underlying sheet metal. Best piece of advice is to have your doors mounted before replacing them so you get the lines / alignment you want. I used a non gas welder and just had to deal with the spatter afterwards. Also, just tacked it in all the way around.

5. 69chevytruck

69chevytruck Member

Rocker panel

Cut both of mine off last saturday and tack welded passenger side back in. Put door back on and checked alignment before weldiing. I am not a body man. But this is doable if you take your time. What I did took me 7 hours. A kid on another site said he cutoff and installed both during lunch. Guess I'm just slow?

6. JonathonPearson

JonathonPearson Member

I replaced mine on my 70 c10 cut all of the rust out and dont half a@# it if it nedds to be go ahead and replace the innner rocker panel as well. just tack in the new ones and check for door alignment if everything is up to your standards on your door lines finish welding them in. a very aggervatingg panel to replace but doable if u dont get in a hurry.