3 on the tree

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by coonkka, Apr 16, 2012.

1. coonkka

coonkka Member

Hello everyone Karen here wondering if you can tell me how costly and how hard it would be to change my gmc from 3 on the tree to floor shift.?? Will have to be able to do it myself and yes I feel pretty sure I could do it. My Dad tells me I can do anything.. Yeah right but I would give it a try.
    Need the info... thanks Karen :eek:

2. fab51

fab51 Member

What are yoi going for? A three speed with a floor shift or a four speed? I just swapped my three speed for an SM420 four speed. It was an easy enough swap. Just be sure you gather all of the proper parts (rear bearing retainer, front ujoint yoke, etc) before you begin. I can give you all of the gorey details, if you like.

3. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

Hey Karen, good to hear from you. How's the project going? Mine's finally here (north of Houston), so I can spend more time on it.

4. coilover

coilover Member

If you can do the work yourself I'd think you can get the switch made for less than $500. I just got done doing that very thing on a 1940 International (Chevy engine & trans) but had all the parts on hand. I called a truck salvage yard to get an idea on how much to charge for my transmission and they quoted me $350 for one that takes an open driveshaft and has a mount on the tailhousing. Cheaper for the old granny type with the torque tube. If you get one from a 3/4 ton get the driveshaft also since the front half fits the torque tube tranny and the back half is the open type. There is a place on the 1/2 ton crossmember just in front of the emergency brake cross shaft that has a triangle shaped opening for a center (hanger) bearing to mount. I like this set up with gas prices crazy since it lets one use a large selection of rear gear ratios. If there are any street rod shops near you one might be able to pick up an old granny 4sp for hauling it away. Doesn't make any difference if it's a free granny or a $1500 rock crusher high gear in both is 1:1.

5. Larrys 48

Larrys 48 Member

Tim - I'm interested in the details and photos of those parts to collect if you have any.

6. fab51

fab51 Member

Larry-

Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures. My wife would kick my butt if I got the camera greasy. :)

I searched before I did the swap, but didn't find anything specific about the u-joint and torque ball. I learned this the hard way, I guess. The list of parts is short but important.

1. The rear bearing retainer is the same for 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks with the torque tube. You can use it from either.

2. You will use the rear yoke, trunion and bushings from your 3 speed u-joint.

3. Use the 1/2 ton 4 speed front u-joint yoke. This is important as it has the gear cast into it to drive the speedo drive.

4. Speedo drive gear for 1/2 ton. It is not the same as the 3 speed gear.

I hope this helps. If you have any specific questions I'll do my best to answer them.

7. coonkka

coonkka Member

Thanks

WOW what a great response. I am a ways away from the change yet, still working on the body. I do believe to have it on the road by the end of the summer. Keep your fingers crossed. My Dad is still helping out doing what he can thank God for that. Had my fair share of mistakes but he is really good about explaining everything. Thanks you GUYS :) Any advise is always welcome.

8. coonkka

coonkka Member

I think the three speed floor shift. Hadn't thought about changing out the tranny and rear end and all that stuff.

9. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Ther is an aftermarket floor shift usually sold through Pep Boys, etc. I believe it is by Mr. Gasket, Daytona is what it used to be called. I have never installed one, but plenty have done it.

10. sidewynder

sidewynder Member

Don"t do it!!

Just my opinion LOL. ;) Many years ago I had enough of the comulmn shift hanging on my 71. and went with a Mr. Gasket floor kit for trucks (It had the 2" longer shifter than the car model). It worked okay, but bolted up off center, further back and much lower than I would have liked it to be. The knob lined up perfectly with the top front of the lower seat cushion. One advantage was that it gave the center passenger a little extra room for their left foot, (but had a tendency to hit their knee). And... once I extended the shifter by about 6", I started to warm up to it.