Hello all need alitle help please

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by Kris, May 20, 2012.

1. Kris

Kris Member

Hello all im new here and im form the Scotland in the UK.
    I have just got my first American Pick up.
    Well this is what i think i know about it:
    its a C10 side step with the spare on the rear fender and a 4 speed trans with a 250 straight 6, 2 wheel drive and it GTW 5000lb ( C1446 J111 002 ) that date it was made is 1965-1966.

the reason for not knowing the date is because on the title it say 1966 but in the 1966 protection plan it says it was delivered in 10-27-1965.

The original owner of the pick up was Gen. Services Administration and they got it from Janesville Wisconsin.
    The 2nd owner Robert R. Shaneyfelt got it in 1977 from Grand Island Nebraska (this is were the fun starts) from there it went to California with him, then in 1990s it appeared in Scotland at a little place called St. Cyrus near MONTROSE. I don't know if he was Army, Navy, Air force. but i know it came in to the UK via a US base called Edzell.
    It was then sold on two more times be for i got it so technically i am the 5th owner of the pick up.

Could anyone help me in finding out more about the owners and what it was used for and any other helpful info about restoring her back to her former glory (got a parts book and suplement that have helped).

regards Kris

Pics to follow

2. Rich 5150 69

Rich 5150 69 Member

Kris the `65 model had the badge on the upper cowl panel, the `66 model had the badge on the lower fender just below the fender beltline, the truck may have been ordered in late `65, I`m actually surprised you got hat much info on the previous ownwers, with the right to privacy act here in the US you won`t get much more. Welcome to the site you`ve got a great start and we need pics..

3. Kris

Kris Member

well with the badge i have no idea because the holes have been filled grr. The info i have is from the pink slip, title, application for registration, DMV and all the paper work i have.
    The reason i know it came in to a US base is when the US forces were pulling out of German they stopped at Scotland to refill then to the US, but when they were coming back they were empty so a list of serving personnel in rank order with vehicles was made up and they wen down the list so for example joe blogs had a Chevy pick up and he was next on the list his pick up would be put on the plane an brought over to the UK and given to him. Thats why in the 1980s there was a mass import of US vehicles in the UK.

I had no idea in the US there was a privacy act. In the UK we don't have this and you can get any info for a fee.

Here are the pics of her

Attached Files:

4. Rich 5150 69

Rich 5150 69 Member

Actually just as easy, look at the inside of the cowl panels or the fenders to see if the holes have been filled, there will be some indication on either one.

5. Kris

Kris Member

the holes are upper part of the fender.

6. Rich 5150 69

Rich 5150 69 Member

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  7. LEYLAND

LEYLAND Member

wow, you really have your work cut out for you. Hats off to you for puttin forth the effort.

You have more history information than we'll ever see over here in North America, I'd trace some of the VIN numbers and keep an eye out while sanding through the layers of paint to try and find the original colours... if you are careful you might be able to see some lettering on the doors or other fleet numbers (maybe) that could help with history identification if the truck was used for business, military or other.

Keep us posted on the build and good luck!

8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Welcome kris !

THANK YOU for saving this vanishing bit of American history .

I hope you retain the L6 250 engine as it's peppy and very good on fuel economy .

The good people here know everything there is to know about your old truck so ask away , sometimes it may take a few days to get a response but have at it .

9. dcsi5919

dcsi5919 Member

Titles are issued, based on the VIN, so per the VIN, your truck is a 1966.

10. Kris

Kris Member

hi all,
    The doors have been striped so i carnt strip by layers.
    This is one of the eases projects i have to do because the previous owner got pretty much all the new parts that is needed to put the truck on the road.

With the colour it was originally Light gray, then in the 1980s it was Brown and when it was sold in the uk it was Green. I was thinking of making it Red with white bumpers and grill.

You will be happy to know the motor and trans will be the original im not Hot Roding this vehicles, the reason why is because if i wanted to drive it now how it is bog standard, it will cost 2000 GB pound thats about 3138 U.S. dollars at current for the insurance. So im putting it on the road for my 21st birthday (im 20 atm). also i want a standard vehicles. Ive got enuff of fast ones.

Thank you for all the info so far. Especially with some of the parts stockist. It is extremely hard finding American motors and parts in the uk and when you do they are to much money