'66 Stepside.....questions about turn indicator switch

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by azbagger, Apr 30, 2012.

1. azbagger

azbagger Member

Howdy, finally getting my '66 stepside on the road after 5 years of sitting. I got it running pretty well and the next issue to work on is the turn indicator switch. When I started to investigate why they didn't work, I found that the switch was just a clump of busted up plastic with some wires attached. I have the turn indicator lever, but I'm looking at which "repro" part to buy and from which supplier. I don't have the bucks to buy an original Delco switch, so I'm looking at buying a switch from Classic Parts. They have two listed for a '66, a repro switch for about $45 and a "like Delco" repro switch for about $56. Is there a difference beyond the price? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'll try to get some pics of the "hunk of junk" :mad: as my wife calls it and post them.

Thanks.

Azbagger

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Repop Parts

I'm betting the $45 one is the worst possible Chinese junk... BT , DT , no thanx .

3. azbagger

azbagger Member

Nate, thanks for the reply. I was kind of thinking the same thing. So I can pop for an additional $11 and get the medium grade junk from China....? Or, I can buy one of the after market units that clamp on to the steering column, but having a 3 sp. with a column shifter, that might not be the best choice. Oh well, tough decisions when trying to do things on the cheap.

Azbagger

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Truth be told , I've seen so much Chinese junk I'd not drop a dime until I saw it ~ swap meet season is upon us , you should be able to find a new one soon .

Consider looking at Hot Rods & Customs , talk to their owners as they often scrap good columns .

5. azbagger

azbagger Member

Well, I went ahead and ordered the "Delco like quality" turn indicator switch from our host, Classic Parts. I had called them to see if the window regulator rollers were in stock, and got to talking to the order person about the turn indicator switch and was told that the original vendor who made them for Delco was supplying them to Classic Parts. The switch should arrive on Wednesday next week. I got my fingers crossed.

Azbagger

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Parts !

Sounds good to me ! .

Could you possibly post pix of the window lift rollers when they arrive ? .

TIA ,

7. azbagger

azbagger Member

Window Regulator Rollers....

Nate,

I'd be happy to just as soon as I see them. My '66 would be a lot more fun to be around with the windows fixed. I'm just waiting on the rollers to pull them apart and install all the track felt runners and stuff in them.

Azbagger

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  8. azbagger

azbagger Member

Update to the story. I ordered and received a "Turnsignal Switch-Chevy OE Quality" from Classic Parts. I am pleased with the quality of the switch, I'm glad I spent a few extra bucks for the "OE quality" switch made by Letric Limited. I now have turn signals! YeeHaa:D. When I ordered the switch, I asked the rep if I needed a Turnsignal Switch Cam and he said yes. Well, turns out both he and I were mistaken as the new switch had everything. I'll keep the switch cam as a back up. I'm still waiting on my window regulator rollers:mad:

Azbagger

9. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Baby Steps......

No worries , just keep at it bit by bit .

10. azbagger

azbagger Member

Yep, another good piece of advice, bit by bit! I let this truck pretty much sit for nearly 4 years give or take. Now I can drive it on the street and that is getting me more enthused to keep going. On to the next bit. :)

Azbagger

11. azbagger

azbagger Member

Nate,

The window regulator rollers arrived last night. I went out to the Classic Parts website and they now have pictures of them and here is a link to that pic:

http://www.classicparts.com/1964-72-Window-Regulator-Rollers/productinfo/18-797/

Now I need to pull my doors apart and find a good method of pounding the rivet end of the pin(s) without messing up the rollers. If anyone has some good ideas on how to do this, I would appreciate it.

Azbagger

12. Rich 5150 69

Rich 5150 69 Member

Use a four inch grinder or a dremel and grind the rivets down flush with surface, tap gently with a punch.....

13. azbagger

azbagger Member

Rich,

Thanks for the response. I was going to use a similar method to remove the old roller pins. What I'm scratching my head over is how to "peen" the new pins into the regulator arms and not destroy my new rollers. A buddy asked me if I had an anvil when I asked him. Sounds like hammer time. I just need some trick so as not to destroy the new rollers.

Thanks again.

Azbagger

14. Rich 5150 69

Rich 5150 69 Member

If you can`t peen it over can you fit a flat washer over it and touch it with a mig welder????:eek:

15. my2ndgirl

my2ndgirl Member

I did this job not that long ago..drilled out the old ones and just clamped the new ones in a vise...worked great!

16. azbagger

azbagger Member

I didn't think that the drilling out of the old ones would be too bad. What I'm still thinking about is how to expand the new "rivet" so it holds. Putting a washer on it and hitting it with a MIG is a good idea. Still thinking. Was this job a real tough one? Can one person do it alone or do you need more hands? Thanks again for the response guys.

Azbagger

17. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Roller Pins

Wow ! $4.00 ?! that's terrific .

I'm betting Harbor Freight has a Rivet Bucking Tool , you place it in a vise and hold the assembled parts over it & smack with a BFH ~

To support the plastic roller , just use a small , cheapo socket from the .99 Cent store .