front wheel change

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by fyritup52, May 23, 2012.

1. fyritup52

fyritup52 Member

K dont if this is possible but my 52 1/2 ton has a different rearend in it and has a 5 lug bolt pattern,now the front has the original 6 lug straight axle.My question is,if I can change the backing plate,drums,brakes to a 5 lug pattern without taking anything else off.I know about the spindle length and all,it has to match up with that but can it be done and what year,type of other vehicle should I look for.I'm going to Charlotte this fall to look for an IFS but for now if I can do what I want or can with just changing the above will this work.may sound a little nuts but I think with the measure twice think once why couldnt it work.......thanks ya'll

2. SinclairChevy

SinclairChevy Member

Several companies offer a change from the original 6-lug drum brakes to GM 5 on 4 3/4" disc brakes. I'm currently in the process of this conversion on my project. The first kit I tried had a design flaw in the caliper brackets which doesn't allow the spindles to turn without hitting the steering stops. This is one of the kits that our host offers:

http://www.classicparts.com/1947-59...heel-w_-Plain-Rotors/productinfo/71-975W5/556

The kit includes a tapered roller bearing conversion to switch away from the stock ball bearings.

However, if you're planning on converting to an IFS at some point, I'm not sure if it's worth doing all the work to convert the front end to 5-lugs for the solid front axle.

Hope this helps.

Damon

3. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Depending on what 5 lug pattern you have on the rear, you should consider replacing just the front hubs and drums with a set from a 53/54 Chevy car. Bolts right up to your spindle using the same bearings as the truck hub.

4. fyritup52

fyritup52 Member

If I find the donor car would it be a good idea to get both the front and back drums etc. so everything would be the same all around?

5. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Before you spend any $$$, find out what the bolt circle is on your current 5 lug rear axle. The 53/54 Chevy car hubs & drums are 5 x 4.75". If your rear hubs/drums/wheels are not 5 x 4.75" you'd still be up $#iT creek without a paddle.