Progress on the 55'

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by drivea55, May 20, 2012.

1. drivea55

drivea55 Member

Okay, let's give this a try one more time. Tried to post pics a few weeks ago, but they just wouldn't upload to the site. I believe it was my wonderful new ISP (Clear). They are no longer my friends, clearly :D
    Anyway, I'm almost done with the chassis, and I know I've said that before, but there is so much to it, right?:eek: Sorry bout the dusty frame. That's what is left from the months of sandblasting, and the maid didn't show up.
    woody

Attached Files:

2. VELCRO

VELCRO Member

Dusty

Looks real good. A little dust can't hide all the hard work. Keep on messing with it and you will be driving it soon. Good luck and thanks for putting pictures on here for the rest of us to look at. Please keep us posted on your progress and more pics.
    Gerald in sunny Florida

3. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Looking good Woody! What's next?

Ken

4. JIMnWV

JIMnWV Member

Looking Great........"it's like looking into my own mind" where did you come by the power brake setup? if you don't mind me asking, I have a M20 4 spd that is going in mine behind the 350 with 2 4's. I would'nt do the power brake deal but I want it more friendly for my wife, I was going to use an auto trans to be more "friendly" but was reminded that she use to drive dump trucks for her brother so put what I want in it....so I am.

Jim

5. drivea55

drivea55 Member

Ken,
    Next is getting the tranny looked at, just to make sure there are no issues with it. Today I rigged my blasting cabinet to be able to blast the driveshaft. I thought I was going to have to have it cut down, but I think it's going to fit just fine. After that, finish figuring out how to get the alternator mounted, cuz it's gonna take some modifications. Get the A/C compressor installed, then start focusing on body work.
    Jim,
    I got the brake kit from our host. I made a mistake, that cost me a lot of time though. I originally went with the six lug, but after I got it, I decided I wanted to put the Cragar Classis SS wheels on and the six spoke just didn't look like the Cragars that I remembered. Since CPA just brokers them for Classic Performance Products, it was a long ordeal to make the swap to five lug. So, make sure of what you want before you order them. I don't hold anyone at fault, but me. I didn't do the rears in disk though, but only did a complete rebuild of the drums. A friend gave me the drums off of his 55' Bellaire, so that part was pretty simple. All new brake lines in SS, and I stayed with the 1/8", since I don't plan on doing too much road racing :rolleyes:
    Thanks for the compliments fellas, and wish me luck on trying my hand at body work. I've got to install 4 pre-made patch panels (inner and outer cab corners), and create 2 on my own. Plus, I've got to do some serious hammering on the right front fender, but everyone seems to think it can be repaired. If not, it'll only cost me time and a lot of cussing.
    Woody

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Good show !

Nice , Woody ! .

Keep it up , you look like you know what you're doing .

7. drivea55

drivea55 Member

Thanks

Thanks Nate,
    As far as knowing what I'm doing? I will admit that I can break anything with the best of em. I remember 'righty tighty, and lefty loosy' :eek: No, really, what I do actually remember is to ask questions, and with help, I've gotten this far. Started final dis-assembly of the cab this week. All the crap under the dash, steering column and hand break. Taking my final load to the powder coaters today. Not the actual final load, but enough for now, and trying to come up with a plan to tilt the cab onto it's front side so I can work on the cab corners, and clean and prime the bottom. Any thoughts?
    Woody

8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Body Works

Well Woody ;

I'm a Mechanic not a Dolly & Fenderman but , I'd done what you're doing and oddly enough , we just ever so carefully rolled the cab forward on it's face then tipped it back up after the floor repairs were done .

I know this is kinda herky-jerky repair method but , it was what one did on the farm back in the dayze .

I think you're prolly better than you think ~ this isn't a new Lexus will zillions of tiny easy to screw up parts , it's your basic American anvil on wheels ,AKA
    The Chevrolet Light Duty Pickup Truck .

Of course there's plenty of experienced Body Men here so if they say otherwise , follow their lead .

9. AZ58Cameo

AZ58Cameo Member

Woody, I flipped my cab over on the frame,pulled it back towards the back and flipped it
    over onto fire wall in the area that it normally sits! Of coarse bare bones, no glass no doors
    completely stripped of every thing!
    fwiw, Allen

10. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Hey Woody, if you need any help with the cab, give me a shout! BTW, where is the cab now? It dawned on me when looking at the pics, that it's not on the frame.

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  11. drivea55

drivea55 Member

Ken,
    I've got the cab sitting on two homemade dollies. What worries me is the front corners. They appear like they can't handle the weight as I roll it forward. I think if I can come up with some pads to rest the corners on as I roll it, I may be okay, but I really don't want to see the contrary after it's too late. Besides some pads, a bunch of hands helping with the process would be awesome. If you can shoot me some contact info, I'll let ya know when it's time. I'm taking the family to the beach this weekend, but taking the rest of the week off to work on it and get over the massive sun burn I feel will be inevitable. :mad: I still need to gut everything from under the dash before I try this trick.
    Woody

12. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Sent you a PM.

13. AZ58Cameo

AZ58Cameo Member

Hey Woody,
    Bam55 had a great trick in using two engine stands as a rotisserie for his frame!
    Just a Thought, but i bet you could rig up something for the cab the way he did
    in his build thread! Again just a thought,
    but again i had my cab on its fire wall (protected of coarse) on the frame,and this way you don't have to worry about the corners getting banged up,Worked for me.
    Good luck, hope you have a great weekend!!!!!
    Allen

14. BAM55

BAM55 Member

Here you go
    [​IMG]

It works great when you are painting it also.
    [​IMG]

I made this dolly with wheels to roll the cab around. I made mine out of steel but you can just as easily do it with 2x4's. I bolted the cab to it with the cab mounts.
    [​IMG]

I hope its cool that I posted to the pics, because pics in my opinion are worth more the words.

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  15. Raz76

Raz76 Member

Nice, how heavy is that cab?

16. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Frame Paint

Pix are not only O.K. ~ here they're MANDATORY ! :p .

We love 'em , keep 'em coming please .

I see you're going with a white frame , will this be a show truck ? .

BTW : nice '55 in the garage , I like '55s the best of The Tri-Five Chevies .

17. BAM55

BAM55 Member

No it will not be a show truck but it will be taken to shows.lol The frame is not white thats only white epoxy primer I top coated it with black.

Thanks for the comment on the 55 its my baby. If you like the 55 best than you have great taste my friend.lol

If you want to see pics of it go to this link. This is what it looks like now but there will be many changes. http://www.flickr.com/photos/bam55/sets/72157617225717992/

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  18. BAM55

BAM55 Member

The cab is not heavy at all. It only took a buddy and I to move it around. That was without glass or anything else just the cab only of course.

19. AZ58Cameo

AZ58Cameo Member

Hey Bam,Did you notice in The Last Picture Of Your Cab, There Is a Guy Trying To Hide
    In Your Cab? lol. You Better Kick That Guy Out Of There So he Doesn't Become a
    Permanent Fixture, Or at Least make Him Clean or Sand Body panels!!!! lol....

20. BAM55

BAM55 Member

First of all how are you buddy?

LOL. Oh that guy is doing a lot of sanding of the body panels.lol That guy is all on his own because friends seem to stop by and just take pics no help just pics.lol