Engine options?

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by spurgeon2, Jun 1, 2012.

1. spurgeon2

spurgeon2 Member

Greetings all!

Since I am looking at having to save my pennies to pay for the machine work and parts for my 228 rebuild I have been trolling around looking for an option to get the truck (49 GMC) rolling in the meantime.

I picked up an engine (and transmission) for 100 dollars thinking if I cant adapt it I can resell it. Here is the crazy part. I have a running inline 6 from a Pontiac Tempest (1964) complete with a powerglide trans. This is a 215 CU engine. My understanding is that this is esentially a 194 chevy that has a bigger bore plus some pontiac external parts.The bellhousing / block bolt pattern is definitely different (BOP? Buick/Olds/Pontiac) The crankshaft has 6 bolts for the flexplate vs 4 on the crank where my flywheel bolts on my 228. Can anyone think of a work around where I could somehow bolt this engine up to my sm420 transmission in my truck. I would like to keep the stock drivetrain.

I bought this on the chance I can get the truck driving again while I save and get the gmc 228 rebuilt. Ant thoughts,advice and inevitable ridicule are greatly appreciated.

v/r
    john m.

Attached Files:

2. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Inline pontiac engine !

The most important part is that the engine mounts fits your frame. Does your original 228 engine have front/rear or side mounts ? This one have side mounts right ? The tranny wont fit , its just to big to get it in the right position in the cabin. So you have to find another solution here.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  3. spurgeon2

spurgeon2 Member

I was wondering if I can bolt up a pressure plate and adapt the bellhousing to mate up with the 420 transmission in place. This is my only option otherwise I would not try it.

4. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Engine options !

I`ll suggest that you make a phonecall to Tom Langdon Stovebolt MI. or Patricks in Casa Grande AR. They can tell how you can rebuild this spesific engine. As it is a 215 CI engine and not a 235 CI i am not shore, but as GM has made the same engines i`ll gues with a bit of modification it might work ; means another transmission , adapter plate and clutch pr. plate.

http://stoveboltengineco.com/

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012