Headers for 64 C-10

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by 1964swb, Jun 6, 2004.

1. 1964swb

1964swb Guest

I am considering the options for exhaust on my 64 C-10. It has a mild 350 Chevy engine (Edelbrock Performer setup). I have headers (not in great shape) but do not know what brand or model they are. What worked well for you? Has anyone run the exhaust headers inside the frame and then throuh the raised area (in the frame-behind the A-frame) along the outside of the frame to the rear? Let me know what worked for you. Thanks!!!!

2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Mine was a bit different. I just installed a crate 350 / 700 R4 combo. I moved the motor forward 2 1/2 inches to get more firewall clearance for the HEI.

My truck is lowered and I did not want the hassle of scraping the collectors on the driveway everytime I pulled out. So I used shortie headers. Full length would work ok if your truck is at normal ride height.

With the motor in it's stock location any quality block hugger shortie will fit. With the motor moved forward, I used Chevelle headers.

I had the muffler shop run the exhaust down the outside of the frame rail for two reasons. The first was I also had old school dump tubes with caps peeking out of the front fender wells. The second was I wanted to use old school Smitty's mufflers. They are about 3hree feet long and fit better there than inside the frame. The rest of the exhaust runs over the axle tubes and exits at the back corners of my panel with a pair of chromed down-turns. Since I have a panel, I decided not to run straight out the back and not risk scavenging fumes in through the back doors.

Dennis

3. 1964swb

1964swb Guest

Thanks for the quick reply. I certainly appreciate your responses to my questions.
    Kent

4. trustyrusty65

trustyrusty65 Member

>My truck is lowered and I did not want the hassle of
    >scraping the collectors on the driveway everytime I pulled
    >out. So I used shortie headers. Full length would work ok if
    >your truck is at normal ride height.

Dennis, how much is your panel lowered? I haven't got mine fully back together yet so I don't know if I can expect any problems with my full-length headers dragging along the ground. My truck is lowered quite a bit (5.5 in the front, 7 in the rear). I already know that having my truck this low is going to cause some other problems with things smacking the road, but I chose form over function. Any input about this would help before I go to the exhuast shop! Thanks, Russ

5. dvalentine

"My truck is lowered quite a bit (5.5 in the front, 7 in the rear). "

With that radical drop if you have full length headers they will be hitting everything ! Speed bumps, driveways, manhole covers, you name it !

Consider going to shorties. The truth be told, there is little, if any benifit to full length as their performance gains are seen at the top end of the RPM range. A good set of shorties, from Sanderson for example, will actually out perform full length headers in the RPM ranges we live in most times, the 1,500 to 3,500 range.

Here is a HP / torque chart that illustrates.

http://www.sandersonheaders.com/images/shortvslongtubechart.gif

A good muffler shop can tuck the rest of the system up above the bottom of the frame rails. Either inside or out. If you run them inside the frame, you still need to deal with running the tubes either under ot through the rear crossmember that supports the trailing arms. If you have a tank under the bed, you will need to figure a way to keep the exhaust inside the frame rails and around the tank.

On a panel or fleetside the path of least resistance is outside the frame rails tucked up behind the lower rocker panels.

The only visible portion of my exhaust are the dump tubes inside the fenderwells, and the chrome down turns at the rear corners.

DV

6. trustyrusty65

trustyrusty65 Member

Thanks for the reply and info, Dennis. I was kind of afraid of that, but was considering shorties anyway just for the look and low-end capability. I had played around with running the exhuast outside the framerails because of my under bed mustang gas tank, so It looks like the thing to do now. I'm finding more and more clearance problems with this much drop, but the look is great. Thanks Again!

7. cowboy

cowboy Member

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Jun-08-04 AT 11:40 PM (CST)] Hey i got a 61 chevy and i have the torsion bar suspension. i was thinking about using fenderwell exit headers. I have not be able to get a set of headers that fit the torsion bars or drop down far enough to clear the engine/tranny crossmember(where the bellhousing bolts to). ANy one know a part number for a set of fenderwell exit headers or any leads to where i can get my hands on a set.
    After the headers i was thinking about the old school dump tubes, but then i was wanting to run the exhaust out the back but i have a stepside so i think i'm going to have to run the exhaust and exit there in front of the rear tires.
    I have the ram horn manifolds and dual exhaust and the way the previous owner had/has it set up it is below the frame and you can see about 3/4 of the exhaust system.
    I was also thinking abotu lowering the front of my truck about 3-4 " and then when i get the money buy an air bag kit for the back and drop it down a few inches. just to give it the certain look like its bad ass.
    thanks
    Cowboy

8. asfrchief

asfrchief Guest

chief check at headmanheaders.com they sell fenderwell headers there

9. 1964swb

1964swb Guest

Dennis,
    Your said that you used Chevelle headers after moving the engine forward 2 1/2 inches. I have a couple of questions regarding this.
    1. Other than additional HEI clearance, are there any other advantages to moving the engine forward? I think I might like to leave the engine in the stock location to keep less weight off the front. I know this amount of movement may not make a big difference, but I'd like as much rearward weight as possible.
    2. Do you know what year of Chevelle your headers were designed to fit and what brand they are? Do they exit inside the frame or on the outside? Do they exit with the collector facing rearward, or do the collectors turn somewhat toward the outside of the truck?
    Thanks, Kent

10. dvalentine

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Jun-17-04 AT 03:23 PM (CST)]Kent,
    1. Other than additional HEI clearance, are there any other advantages to moving the engine forward?

Nope...

2. Do you know what year of Chevelle your headers were designed to fit and what brand they are?

They were designed for 66-72. They were an e-Bay find so the brand is a mystery. I just look for a nice thick mounting flange and manderl bends.

2.b Do they exit inside the frame or on the outside?

Inside
    2.c Do they exit with the collector facing rearward, or do the collectors turn somewhat toward the outside of the truck?

They drop down and straight back. Check out this pic. you can see where the top of the collectors begin. This is the right side.
    http://home.att.net/~valentines/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-675900.html

The left side ? Well that was another story...

http://home.att.net/~valentines/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-675902.html

Drivers side just hit the motor mount perch enought to make life miserable. It all worked out though...

DV

11. 1964swb

1964swb Guest

Thanks for the pics! That gives me a better idea how they fit. I also visited your other photos. I like the panel--nice! I also was really interested in "Seon's ride." That is an interesting ride.

12. dvalentine

Seon visit's here from time to time. Really great guy. If he sees this thread I hope he describes it. It's a newer FERD frame and motor with the COE body mounted on it.

The picture of Seon's COE was taken a few months ago when he picked up the panel's old 305 motor.

The pictures of the panel are kinda old. It looks a bit different now. rust free fenders, chrome grill, etc.
    The header pics are on the new HO 350 from a few months ago as well .
    The interior on the panel looks different now too. Billit column and Lokar Nostaliga shifter on the 700 R4.

fun fun fun...

DV