Just wanted to say "Hi"

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by Stormbringer, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Stormbringer

Stormbringer Guest

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Jun-15-04 AT 02:48 PM (CST)]Howdy, I'm new here & thought I should introduce myself & my truck! I've had this '65 for close to 10 years now & wouldn't even concider owning sometyhjing else!! [​IMG]

2. cowboy

cowboy Member

Nice truck! just sayin hi back.
    cowboy

3. Stormbringer

Stormbringer Guest

Thanks Cowboy! I need to reduce future pix so they can be viewed without scrolling!

4. 64K10

64K10 Member

RE: Just wanted to say

Hey Stormbringer,

KOOL Jimmy, got to love them 4x4's!!! :)

64K10

5. Stormbringer

Stormbringer Guest

Thanks 64K10! I heard before '65, GM sent their trucks out to the military for the 4x4 mods & '65 was the first year of the factory production 4x4's (I could be wrong) The T-case & tranny are the only parts I have left thats original on that truck!

6. 64K10

64K10 Member

Strom...

GM (Chevy and GMC Truck)started making 1/2T and 3/4T 4x4 trucks in 1960, prior to that there were a couple of aftermarket manufactures producing the drivetrain components. NAPCO (Northwestern Auto Parts Company) was probably the major company providing this service prior to 1960. You could order your truck and NAPCO would retrofit it (line built) or the local dealer would order the "kit" and it was "dealer installed". Check out http://www.napco4x4.org/

All of the '60-'66 GM 1/2T and 3/4T trucks that I have come across used the Rockwell T-221 transfercase and the Dana 44-5F closed knuckle front axle. The 1/2T's used 6 lug and the 3/4T's (Dana 44-HD5F) used 8 lug wheels.

64K10
    http://mywebpage.netscape.com/wck10s/index.html

ps - I need to do some updating to my site.

7. Stormbringer

Stormbringer Guest

Nice site, cool truck! Thanks for the info! When I got mine, it had a locker style rearend & was very low geared. I swapped out the axles for some '72 Blazer axels with the front disc brakes & I hooked the power steering unit up as well. I wish I was a mechanic, it would save me a lot of $$$!