64 k 10 axles

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by 64_k10, Jun 22, 2004.

1. 64_k10

64_k10 Guest

when i drive my 64 k 10 the front end starts shaking really bad. what is causing this and where can i get it fixed?

2. 64K10

64K10 Member

Hey 64...

You didn't say if it occurs in 2 wheel drive or when in 4 wheel drive, what speed it starts to happen, etc... Did problem just start or???

Could be as simple as tire/wheel out of balance, bent rim, worn-out tire, loose lug nuts, tie rod ends loose, bent, broken, or something like a bearing inside one of the hubs. Check to make sure that both locking hubs (if you have them) are disengaged when in 2Hi. Also check to make sure the axle "u" bolts are tight. While your under the truck check the motor mounts and all the u-joints on the driveshafts. Check the steering box bolts and the frame for cracks where the box bolts up. Check everything out that you can and let us know what you find.

3. 64_k10

64_k10 Guest

the pickup was in 2-HI but the front drive shaft was off when i bought it and when i lock the hubs in the front with a jack under the axle i turn the thing that the driveshaft is connected too and none of the wheels turn on the front axle. is my drive shaft shot?

thanks

4. cowboy

cowboy Member

sounds liek something might be binding up. your in 2hi and the front drive shaft is in and you try and turn the wheel and tire and it won't turn, right? how does the drive shaft fit? how are your ujoints and other frontend components? bearings balljoints? hubs?
    what else does it do or not do. did it shake when you didn't have the driveline in it?
    Cowboy

5. 64_k10

64_k10 Guest

HEY COWBOY i guess i dunno whats wrong with that axle i am a 16 yr old dumb kid thats trying to restore a 64 chevy pickup so i guess i dont know quite what your talking about... sorry. but THANKS a lot for the information about those axles!

64_k10 aka lftemhgh

6. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

For your 17th birthday ask the folks for the Factory Service Manual and, if you are restoring bodywork, the Factory Assembly Manual.

Happy Birthday !

DVal

7. cowboy

cowboy Member

well 64 i'm 18 and what exactaly don't you under stand? maybe i can put it in a way you can under stand.
    I do have a question though. what kinda axles were put in the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks? i have recently found a 62 3/4ton 4x4 dually. that is in pretty ruff shape and i'm hoping i can get it. i was just a little curious abotu the rear axles in thouse trucks. the truck is a chevy if that makes a differ.
    cowboy

8. 64_k10

64_k10 Guest

i guess i dunno what the difference is. my friend has a 66 k20 and i will check the axles out on that one for ya

9. cowboy

cowboy Member

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Jul-12-04 AT 11:20 PM (CST)]thanks i was just kinda wondering if the 4wd trucks came with a posi unit or if i could get a locker for the rear axle which is the stock axle.
    Cowboy