Bright ideas

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by Dragginwagon66, Jun 6, 2004.

1. Dragginwagon66

Dragginwagon66 Member

OK you experts.....

Looking at my 66 Panel, the lights (tail/stop/turn) all seem a little dim. I am thinking about upgrading the 1157 standard bulbs to 1157 LED's to improve their visibility (and keep folks from running me and my little truck over). According to the advertising blurbs, they're supposed to simply twist in just like the original 1157's.

Have any of you used the new 1157 LED's in your rigs? Do they work? Do you need to do anything to adapt the system? Are they an improvement?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Roger:7
    Attachments:
    https://talk.classicparts.com/images/attachments/40c3a0ee08005aaa.jpg

2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

>
    >Have any of you used the new 1157 LED's in your rigs? Do
    >they work? Do you need to do anything to adapt the system?
    >Are they an improvement?
    >

Hi Roger,

I was contemplating the same thing. Mine were VERY dim at first. I took them apart and cleaned all contacts, as well as taking metal polish to the reflectors and new bulbs. Then replaced the lenses with aftermarket. They are a lot better than when I started, but, like you, I'd like things to really pop RED back there.

Dennis

3. Dragginwagon66

Dragginwagon66 Member

Thanks Dennis--seems as though we think alike. I replaced the bulbs and the reflectors and even shined the reflectors with Mother's metal polish, but I'm not satisfied with the results.

Might have to give the LED's a try. You can get them in white, red and amber.

Roger

4. bud45

bud45 Member

Roger, where can you get the white LED 1157s? I've seen the red & amber, but not white. BTW, I seel a lot of LED lights to truckers (I work at a Peterbilt dealership) and they burn 1/10 the current of incandescent bulbs! Much more efficient. I'd like to get my hands on (4) white 1157 LED bulbs!

Bud

5. cowboy

cowboy Member

I think you can get them from speedwaymotors.com
    cowboy

6. Dragginwagon66

Dragginwagon66 Member

Bud-
    Did a Google search and came up with several sites that sell the clear/amber/red 1157 LED's, but the only one I bookmarked was:
    superbrightleds.com. They offer all three flavors.

Roger

7. bud45

bud45 Member

Thanks, Roger...I've barely been on enough to do any searches myself. However, at work the other night, I found 1157, 3157 and 194 LED bulbs in Performance Products' catalog, which is more directed at late-model trucks. They don't give specific prices, just, "...from $11.95 to $50.95 PR" which I presume is a pair.

I'll give your newfound site a peek...I can order red & amber from United Products through work, but they have a high minimum & take two to three weeks to ship. Not cool.

8. sebuttolph

sebuttolph Member

Your message got me thinking about lights on my 65 GMC and after checking around, I bought tail lights and electronic signal switch today from Advance Auto. The total cost was just over $23.00
    One thing though.
    The light bulb package said "not for street use" which I assume means these lights are very! bright. I've checked them in the daylight and they're brighter but not too bright. I'll have to see what they look like tonight!
    Otherwise, they look like they'll be great. I'll probably put them in the front signal lihts too.
    Good Luck
    Steve;)