1966 gas tank supports

Discussion in 'Paint & Body' started by Indeep, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Indeep

Indeep Member

I am resoring a 66 short wide.
    Can anyone tell me if I have to reinstall the rear supports behind the seat if I do not locate the gas tank back there?

I am not sure if they serve any other purpose.

Thanks

2. 65Custom

65Custom Member

I would NOT remove them

Hey,

I would NOT remove them. You may want to modify them or cut the down but do not completely remove them.

I am in the process of replacing the floor in my 65 and they do serve a purpose. The provide the mounting location/points for the floor to the Cab back wall and they provide the mounting locations for the Cab to the frame.

The tank mounts also provide support to the back wall from flexing and provides rigidity of the back wall.

I am not exactly sure if they were welded in before the floor went in or after but I can tell you when you cut them out you loose some of your cab stiffness.

3. Indeep

Indeep Member

Thanks,
    I figured as much. I will definately cut them down and weld them back in.

4. dcsi5919

dcsi5919 Member

They were spot-welded and bolted at the factory. They provide stiffness and tear-out resistance, should the truck strike something in the front. They help keep the cab from folding forward, in case of an accident. Trimming them may diminish this slightly, but it not totally, and it cleans the area up a bit.

5. everettboyd

everettboyd Member

Gas tank support

Now a days gas become an integral part of human life............