Got a new truck

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by cowboy, Jul 5, 2004.

1. cowboy

cowboy Member

Hey ya'll hows it going.
    Just thought i would tell you about the deal of a life time that i got the other day. I got A 1962 Chevy 3/4 ton 4wd dually. it set up to run a pto winch. the some one has cut some stuff off the frame thought.
    Does anyone know what kinda axle they put under these trucks. i woudl like to get a locker for the front and rear. i think the front axle is a dana 60. i have no clue about the rear axle. or did they come with some kinda limited slip/ posi unit in them?
    this truck is very very ruff. needs new cab and a few other parts but it is well worth the price i paid for it.
    Well i'll tell you what i paid for it. I didn't pay dime for it i got it for hauling it away.
    I'm sure i have more/will have more questions just real exicted about the new addition to my collection.Cowboy
    1961 Chevy 1/2ton short bed step side
    1962 Chevy 3/4ton longbed flatbed 4x4

2. cowboy

cowboy Member

RE: PTO Shifter

Hey does anyone know where i can get a shifter arm for a PTO for my 62 Chevy. i think i might be able to make one.but i was curious to know what they looked like.
    cowboy

3. cowboy

cowboy Member

RE: took off cab

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Jul-07-04 AT 00:05 AM (CST)]i took my cab and front sheetmetal off today and it took about 2.5 hours i was kinda suprised it came off so easy for the most part i only had to cut one bolt. i'll get the frame ready for a new cab
    cowboy

4. 64K10

64K10 Member

Cowboy, if the truck still has the original front axle assembly it will be an 8 lug (wheel) bolt pattern and will have "closed" steering knuckles. Looking from the front of the truck on the lower right side of the diff. housing you should find the following casting number: 44 HD5F. On the 1/2T trucks the number will be: 44 5F with 6 lug axles. Axle ratio is probably in the 4:56 range for the 3/4T.

I have also seen several different locking hubs used on these trucks, Dualmatic, Selectro, and Warn.

As for the PTO, I've only seen the pull cable type and it mounted under the dash. If a lever was used there would be an additional hole in the floor / transmission cover.

64K10

5. cowboy

cowboy Member

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Jul-07-04 AT 11:34 PM (CST)] Thanks for the help. I like that fact that that tranny has a drive line between the tranny and transfercase. but i don't like the fact that it has like 5 different ujoints adn about 8 total ujoints. i'm just going to just keep a complete set in my cab when i get the truck up and running.
    On closer look the other day i found out it was a dana 44 with the closed knuckles. i was just thinking that it should be a 60 just casue it is a 3/4ton daully but hey the 44 will work just fine. well the lever comes up through the floor and i'l just make a lever and it will look good. has any one thought of putting a 2spd brownie in thes trucks? i thought it would be kinda nice so i could keep the low gears for pulling a trailer and up in the hills putting around but have and overdrive to lower the rpms while cruising down the rode or even split your gears when towing a load.
    Cowboy

6. cowboy

cowboy Member

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Jul-16-04 AT 11:15 PM (CST)] I was wondering how much frame i should have back past the rear spring hanger on the rear springs?
    I also was wondering if it would be worth my time to put a Dana 70 1 ton dually rear end under the truck, it is already a dually.
    I know i would have to get gear changed to be the same front and rear.
    I was also planning on running a 255/85R16 BFG mud terrain tire which is ruffly 33" tire 7" wide.
    I would like to put a locker in the rearend. does anyome know if anyone make a locker for the stock 3/4ton axle? I know they make one for the dana 70. I plan on using this truck as a truck and will do some offroading, Nothing hard core.
    Thanks,
    Cowboy

7. Stormbringer

Stormbringer Guest

Ya gotta love all them U-Joints 'eh! Mine has the three drive shafts also!

8. cowboy

cowboy Member

I got my cab soda blasted and i got most of it primered got most of the truck put back together, now. I just got to finish bolting the front filler piece and grill on and get my flat bed mounted get my ehxaust hooked up and wire the tail lights and i should be ready. I just had the Radiator recored. got a rear drive line put together so that i have one. its just about ready to hit the road by sunday or monday.
    Cowboy
    1961 Chevy 1/2ton Shortbed Stepside
    1962 Chevy 3/4ton 4x4 Dually Flatbed