'76 GMC G2500 Longbed

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by vwnate1, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Roadhazardguy

Roadhazardguy Member

Darn, I would have liked to have it. Or even my younger cousin as he doesn't have a truck. Except that's a bit of a drive and back, Oh well...

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

" Too Far To Drive "

FWIW ;

I bought my current Shop Truck in Dallas, TEXAS and drove (more like wheezed & rattled) it all the way home to So. Cal . , tinkering all the way and using Lord knows how many gallons of oil.....

This old GMC would have made the trip handily , I bought it to haul a Moto down from Oregon and it did that easily , in the rain & cold , these are TRUCKS not crappo Kias :rolleyes: .

I actually miss that big orange beast :( snif .

3. Roadhazardguy

Roadhazardguy Member

Oh im sure it would have done the trip just fine after all the work you put in to it.

I sold my blazer the other day and picked up a crew cab for 1200 bucks, put new tires on it, tune up, TTL, inspection, etc... and ive been driving it. It has 74k original miles and it hadn't been inspected since 97. Im really surprised at how nice it drives for a 34 year old truck that's hardly ever had anything done to it. Its kind of ugly from the outside appearance but overall its a pretty nice truck. Gm really knew how to build them...

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

But Of _COURSE_ !

That's why CHEVROLET is consistently the most popular truck in America ! :) .

But of course , you already knew that :D .

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

It's ALIVE !

Or , at least it wasn't wrecked ~ I went to the Tow Yard to - day to have a look , they want $500 to release it plus I have to get permission from the local P.D. , they'll want their pound of flesh for the parking ticket it was impounded for , it had been left parked on the street with expired tags .

Turns out the used car lot that bought it from the rip off charity donation place I gave it to , buffed up the original paint so now it's nice & shiny , I looked under the hood and in the cab , nothing appears changed since I gave it away .

I'm considering bailing it out and then re selling it as it really is a nice old truck and I put a lot of hard work and $ into it , new ball joints , shocks , radiator , exhaust manifold ,on and on and on and..... :rolleyes:

I just don't have any place to park this HUGE beast .

Hmmm.......

We'll see .

FWIW , I drove the clapped out '69 C/10 I bought in August , back from Dallas.....

These are GENEROUS MOTORS CORPORATION trucks , the very best there are .

Oughta be worth the $1,500.00 I was hoping to get in a tax receipt , they screwed me there .

6. Roadhazardguy

Roadhazardguy Member

Do it! I hate to see a good driving truck get parted out.

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

We'll See....

I too hate to see anything useful get tossed out , not to mention all my hard works wasted like that .

I'm off to peruse their Lien Sale page .

8. Roadhazardguy

Roadhazardguy Member

Good luck!

9. Roadhazardguy

Roadhazardguy Member

So did you end up getting it back?

10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Screwed Again

Naw ;

The tow guy bid against me , I was the ONLY bidder too ! no one else wanted it but it still started up and ran fine , he drove it 'round the storage lot trying to perk up interest . I bid up to $1,000 before giving up .

What he did was B.S. and I'm pi$$ed off about it .

11. Roadhazardguy

Roadhazardguy Member

That sucks! I guess that's what happens when you try to do something good, it turns around and bites you in the...

12. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

It lives !

SWEET ! my Son lives a town or two East of me and spotted it driving Friday last , he says it's still clean & shiny , the license tags are up to date on it so this means someone bought it and brought it up to date , when I donated it to the rip off charity auction place the tags were *just* expiring .

I guess I should have paid to spring it from the crooked impound lot , the very first time I went there , they wanted $410 to release it and the Burbank PD didn't want any $ . my bad but at least it's out and running , it really is a fine old rust fee truck I miss it greatly .

I never did finish posting all the works and parts I put into it over $3,700 worth of Jobber (that's cheaper than Wholesale) priced parts , I never count my labor .

I purchased it to pick up my new Ural Motocycle in Washington State and it did that trip easy-peazy .

That's it , just a final update , a happy (not for me) ending :) .

13. Roadhazardguy

Roadhazardguy Member

Well that's good, at least its out running around and not in a junk yard or something. :)

14. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Very Good Indeed !

As I really missed it and felt badly that it would get scrapped .