1750 Mile long haul in my 59 chevy truck

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by mikebte, Jul 31, 2012.

1. mikebte

mikebte Member

Drove from California to Oklahoma this last month. The 235 Pulled a 13X6 enclosed trailer with 4800Lbs. Total Weight was 10,000Lbs. Was a fun trip. Took some video. Not much to watch But Im sharing the trip.

http://youtu.be/_cNYP2aY19Q

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Sweet !

I love criss crossing America in my old 6 Banger Chevy too ! .

More should try it .

3. ccharr

ccharr Member

That was great, Thanks for posting it.

4. VELCRO

VELCRO Member

road trip

Loved your video. I have never been out west, that was a good look at the country. Do you know what you mpg pulling the trailer was? How about without the trailer?
    I noticed your speedometer doesn't work, I have a complete set of original gauges out of my '58. You are welcome to them. No idea if they work or not because my truck did not have an engine or tranny when I got it. I replaced the old gauges with VDO gauges before I installed an engine. If you want them, just pay the shipping.
    Gerald
    Ocala, Florida
    Keep on truckin'

5. trucktony

trucktony Member

One of the Best road movies I have ever seen.
    This has always been a dream for me.
    Must do it some time.
    I did a trip thru England last year with my 58 apache.
    Supposed to be doing it again this year,but had an accident with my motorcycle.
    So had to cancel it.

Great offer from 58apache.
    That's where it's all about: truckingcomradeship

Great video
    If you know more of these,just send them to me
    Allways searching for these kinda apache movies on you tube.

Can you PM me which trip you made.
    I want to sort it out on my RandMcnally.
    How knows?!?!?!?

Attached Files:

6. Raz76

Raz76 Member

I remember when I made that trip from Corona CA to Oklahoma City Oklahoma. Long drive and for you to do it in a 53 year old truck, I applaud you. I know I would not trust it. Truck looks and sound good. Welcome to Oklahoma. I hope you're from here otherwise it's a huge change. I've been here since 1999 and Im still not liking it here.

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

The Long Haul

Tony & others considering this ;

It's an easy thing to do , beware much of the time it might get boring if you're used to the Telly or xbox being on all the tme , this is LIFE no reset button , thankyouverymuch :D .

If you don't trust your truck , you're not trusting your skills .

John Muir told us he often began a Road Trip in a moderately running vehicle and finished it running tip top .

I relish that challenge although I try to keep my old junkers running as well as they can .

I've had breakdowns and mishaps but , again , that is life and how you allow them to spoil your day , reflects directly on how enjoyable your entire life will be .

I too had a Moto accident , I survived a fatal one , not my fault and I'm now crippled but Sunday I hope to ride my Moto again , it only make me hurt worse for a week or so , never give up , never say die .

(BTW : didja notice how cleverly I sneaked in CHEVROLET BLUE ? )

8. ccharr

ccharr Member

I have taken my truck into the El Paso area and back (Ventura Co., Ca.) along with trips all over Ca. and Az. the trucks do good. Remember that when they opened up the highway system these trucks and cars from the 50's and below were the ones on the road driving from NY to Ca. or Ma. to Fl. and back daily.

9. AZ58Cameo

AZ58Cameo Member

Hey Nate, I Hope you recover well enough to ride again!
    I Too had a bad Moto accident, and today have a Metal Rod from my Hip down to my Knee in my Right Femur. I did Give up riding but there are time i miss it!
    Allen

10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Touring

Yep ;

Our Trucks were made to go from Sea To Shining Sea easily and fully loaded , if @ 50 MPH , this is fairly easy to upgrade to 65 , I choose to not go much faster in my oldies because I like the drive , I have other oldies that'll go 135 if I need that , seems I rarely go over 85 these days tho' .

I had hoped to get in a MotoRide to -day but it's been bugger all HOT here , we went to a going away to College Party in Fontana yesterday and it was 103 ° F plus a light drizzle , ew .

Got home @ 04:00 so maybe no ride to-day , I did get in some Tiddling on my faithful 1970 Honda CT90K2 it buzzes right along @ 40 MPH or so , all day /night .