Heater Fan

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by kjprince, Sep 5, 2004.

1. kjprince

kjprince Member

Quick question.....
    I have a 1965 C10 Long Fleet with the delux heater and lights in the instrumet panel.

My heater fan doesnt work at all. I just replaced the motor with a brand new one from my local parts store and tried turning on the fan when the engine was running and when the key was at the 2nd position just befor starting. I check the wire and from what i can see it looked prety good. I did have to fix it at the fire wall point with a but end and fresh with at that point because of a fire in the engine compartment but the connection looks good. I noticed that the orange wire that comes from the fan switch on the dash goes to a connector on the back of the air passage to a connection then comes back out and runs to the firewall and then to the motor. What is the connection and could it be causing the fan to not work. If not this what else can it be. Would like to get air moving seeing as winter is comming up fast.

Kevin

2. 72cheyenne

72cheyenne Guest

HELLO KEVIN,

I BELIEVE WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT IS THE BLOWER MOTOR RESISTOR.
    IT IS USED TO CONTROL THE SPEED OF THE FAN MOTOR BY REDUCING THE AMOUNT OF ELECTRICITY IN STAGES ACCORDING TO THE SWITCH.
    ON LATER MODELS THE HIGH SPEED SETTING BYPASSES THIS RESISTOR AND USED A RELAY. ON YOURS I'M NOT SURE.
    A REPAIR MANUAL FOR YOUR TRUCK SHOULD HAVE A WIRING DIAGRAM FOR THAT SYSTEM.
    I WOULD START THERE AND USE A TEST LIGHT.
    ANYONE ELSE HAVE A BETTER IDEA OF THIS SETUP, I TOO WOULD LIKE MORE INFO.
    THANKS.

GOOD THINGS.

BRANT

3. kjprince

kjprince Member

Update, got the new blower working. found the problem and was pretty simple....blown fuse on main fuse block. just need to get the right amp fuse in there and unless there is a short that blowes it again should work fine ( i connected the wire on a different point on the fuse block and the fan worked very good on all three speeds. just need to get other problems fixed on engine (see other threads) and i will be a very happy C10-head.