Ball Joints

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by Ripperman, Sep 10, 2004.

1. Ripperman

Ripperman Member

How big a pain in the *** is installing new Ball Joints? Whats all involved? And when I do that (since everything else except tie rods is original) should I go ahead and replace anything else?

Thanks,

Rip

2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

>How big a pain in the *** is installing new Ball Joints?
    That depends on the size of the *** you are using as a benchmark ! ;)

>Whats all involved?

If you are just doing the upper's it's not all that bad. After the spindle is free of the upper ball joint, an angle grinder on the rivits will get you close. Then a NEW drill bit will make short work of the rest of the removal.

If you are doing the lowers'. The old ball joints will need to be pressed out, and the new ones pressed in. You can check out your local tool rentals to see if they have a ball joint press that could allow you to replace them yourself, and maybe without the a-arms being removed.
    Usually it requires removal of the lower a-arm and handing it over to a machine shop.

>And when I do that (since everything else except tie rods is >original) should I go ahead and replace anything else?

Check the a-arm for excessive movement of the cross shaft and bushing for cracking and general dryness. It's a good time to do the idler arm too.

If you do ball joints and bushings you will not believe the difference. It will be like a brand new truck.

ALSO; Make sure you have the front end aligned when done.

DVal

3. Ripperman

Ripperman Member

Well the benchmark is substantial. :7

That sounds like quite a bit of cost and work. I do all the work myself but this sounds like a job that i'm not set up to do.

The problem is that I get a clacking sound from the front stoping or hiting a bump, and sometimes turning.

I have to drive it so I hope it is not to dangerous until I can get it done. If thats what the problem is.

Rip

4. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

If you feel it's not safe you are probably correct, so don't put it off too long. A failed ball joint or tie-rod end at highway speeds will ruin your day and possible someone else's as well.

5. drabo

drabo Member

I had a similar problem with my '66. Every time I took off or stopped I heard a clanking noise for the front end. Kind of like something was shifting up there. It ended up being the u-bolts that hold the lower A-arm bushing were loose. That was causing the a-arm to shift on me. Look for wear marks on the a-arm bushing.

I did end up replacing every thing on my front end and it made a world of differance. The lower ball joints were a mo-fo. Take them some where and have them pressed in. It's not worth the aggrivation. everything else is pretty easy though.

Pete