need help!!! english

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GMC Pickups Talk' started by brit 50, Dec 6, 2005.

1. brit 50

brit 50 Member

hi, im from england and have just bought a 1950 1/2 ton chevy, its from north dakota, its a little rough round the edges but solid, runs ok (ish)got a 235 4 on the floor(always wanted to say that) needs a good overhaul mechanically but i love it!!! dream come true. im into nostalgia and salt flats, sling shot dragsters (friend has just run a six with a fuel small block slingshot over here)and my truck will probably be the tow car at the nostalgia races. right my questions are, do i keep the standard drum brakes on the truck or go for disc/power conversion, are the rear axles ok or should i swap?
    if i were to totally rebuild the running gear will it drive ok or are they pigs to drive even if new?

im not expecting a new car type drive in my truck and have restored old cars before so know what to expect, but if im going to spend a lot of bucks i want at least a tuck that isnt hard work to drive. any advice greatly appreciated guys,

he may have made the earth and heavens in 7 days but it must have taken a little longer to make my truck!

________
    LIST OF ENGINES

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  2. Mikes64

Mikes64 Member

the only reason to keep drum brakes is to keep the truck original. Decide if you want to stop well or if you want to say that the truck is stock

3. brit 50

brit 50 Member

ok,thanks, next question, do i go for the power disc brake kit from CD or something else, any other tips on running ger appreciated,

thanks again

he may have made the earth and heavens in 7 days but it must have taken a little longer to make my truck!

________
    SPICE WEED

4. 57gmcv8

57gmcv8 Member

I am in England also and for a good cheap every day truck i am
    converting mine to jag xj6 on the front end. Back end will be chevy
    10 bolt (cheap) i wont be trying this truck up the POD just wont it to get there (also Shacky) so may be you could try the same convertion

5. brit 50

brit 50 Member

yeah i considered doing this too but the new gov regs that look like being introduced for modified vehicles put me off. looks like anything with modified suspension or brakes will soon be subject to all kinds of stupid tests and examinations not to mention insurance companies seeing this as an excuse to hike the rates thru the roof!! you american guys have it so easy compared wit us brits.

might see you at the pod or shakes fella

cheers

________
    Medical marijuana strains