Stainless "Steal"

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by MISurfer, Aug 28, 2012.

1. MISurfer

MISurfer Member

I have been looking for these forever and sometimes we are in the right place at the right time. This is a complete (minus the windshield trim) set of deluxe moldings for my 1950 1/2 panel truck. I got all the sargent stripes with only two small dents, the fender long arrows, stainless for the cab and rear windows and stainless for the inside cab windows. One sargent stripe isn't in the photo (it's out looking for clips). Couldn't remove the windshield stainless due to either it is sealed too tight with sealant or I would of had to take the windshield out and not replace it on the donor truck. Sorry, they are NOT for sale. They are going to look great on my black Panel. Needless to say as in my thread title, I got a real deal and the owner was happy too. Might be awhile before I get them on but dreams do come true fellas. Anyone know who sells the correct clips for the backside? We had to grind these off due to nuts rusted down to cone shaped blobs. Thanks guys for all your advice here. Brian
    [​IMG]

2. Flashlight

Flashlight Member

Greeneville, Tennessee....Looking out over the Smo
    Nice Score!

Its true, as rare as Hen's teeth, did you shine them up a bit already?:p

3. MISurfer

MISurfer Member

Not yet. Found the proper clips today and will probably order some Nuvite stainless polish. I have seen people do incredible stuff with that. Not sure if it is sold in stores or online only.

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Windshield Trim Removal

Go back with a brandy new carpet knife and insert the blade edgewise just on either side of the stainless trim , draw it to - wards you , bit by bit the rubber will cut away in narrow strips , DO NOT pull on the trims whatsoever , keep cutting and in time they'll be loose and fall out in your hands , the glass will remain firmly in place as the junked truck's owner always prefers .

As you cut , the blade may become dull , that's why there's spare blades rattling inside the kinife's handle , ony buy the knifes that rattle , some of the Chinses ones are the same price but do not come with the spare blades .

This is a time consuming job so wear long sleeves and a sun hat :p .

Looks like you've done very well indeed ! .

5. MISurfer

MISurfer Member

That's exactly what my buddy at the body shop told me when I got back. Thanks Nate. I don't think it's going anywhere fast, so I will probably go back for one more scrounge. I'll post some before and after pics down the road.

6. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Brian, great score! Your black panel is going to look awesome with a full set of bling on it! Remember that stainless is very forgiving. It will withstand pounding, harse abrasion, hard polishing and come out looking better than any chromed piece of metal could ever find! Take a small wooden dowel formed to the curve of your trim and gently beat out the dents you described and buy a buffing wheel to go on you bench grinder. Then find some "jewelers' rogue" and buff your stainless until it shines like a new penny!

Ken

7. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

A wish came through and congrats.

These are rare to find original but expencive to i`ll gues ? Looking foreward to see the trims installed on your beautifull truck:)

Good luck Martinius.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  8. Thunder54

Thunder54 Member

lucky

You thought about playing the lottery?
    :rolleyes:
    Jim

9. 51 HHR

51 HHR Member

NuVite

We use Nuvite to polish Airplanes it is a great product that will bring most metals to a mirror finish and protect it. It comes in different "grits" so do some research on thier website.
    Bill