Newbie question - With Pics!

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by DarinC, Sep 18, 2012.

1. DarinC

DarinC Member

I recently picked up a 54 Chevy 3100 from a small town in south central Nebraska from a gentelmen who was cleaning out his brother's garage for him. Supposedly the truck was an old state vehicle, and the owner worked for them. When his job ended, he needed transportation home, so he bought the truck, brought it home, threw on some new shoes, upgraded to 12v, re-did the bed (not perfect, but a good start), and threw a coat of paint on her. He left the country in 1985 and parked her in a paved garage where she sat ever since, other than the occasional parade.

When we got her home, we pulled out the old gas, gave her a jump, and she fired right up. She does have a small crack in the block where the soft plugs didn't completely do their job, but we were able to repair it with some epoxy after a good clean up. A 4lb radiator cap should keep the pressure from wanting to push it out. We did find a donor engine and tranny from a Bel Air which set us back a whopping $50, so if she gives, we'll re-build the donor. Put in new plugs, re-built the carb, and she is running like a top. The gas gauge and speedo don't currently work, pretty sure the speedo is the head in the gauge, as we can spin the cable and it doesn't budge. The fuel gauge - we haven't dug into yet, but it does quiver when you start her up, so I'm hoping it's a lose connection. We also fabricated a rear bumper and receiver out of some scrap we had lying around, it's very very stout, should put a hurt on any import that decides to get too close!

She has a little rust in the floor which has been repaired, not the best repair, but very solid, otherwise, there is very little rust on her. She runs and drives very well and pulled a trolly full of people from my wedding to the reception on a 107 degree day with ease. She is my wife and I's wedding gift to each other.

My question - I'm reading through the Highway Star thread, and pondering myself - I want to upgrade the gears in the rear from the 3.90's it has. The Patrick gears are seeming to be a good option, but there is a very good swap meet this coming weekend, and I'm wondering if there are any other solutions from different vehicles that would work to keep her basically stock, but be able to not slow down everyone on the highway. Or are there any other parts I should be keeping an eye out for while I'm there?

Looks like a lot of you guys have some absolutely beautiful rides, I know I'm going to learn a lot here!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  2. apoe

apoe Member

welcome

welcome!! thats a great looking truck.

3. SinclairChevy

SinclairChevy Member

Welcome to the forums! You have a great truck. Thanks for sharing the photos and the story.

Damon

4. Larrys 48

Larrys 48 Member

Welcome! Thanks for sharing. That's a great looking truck.
    There are some "rear end swaps" that can also acheive your highway cruising goals. Search some previous posts if you think that is something you might want to consider.

5. Greg_H

Greg_H Member

Go with the Patrick's style gears. An open style rear end change is going to turn into a rear end, transmission, leaf spring,driveshaft change.

6. DeadZoneTruckin

DeadZoneTruckin Member

7. ccharr

ccharr Member

Welcome aboard enjoy the ride while here.

8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Nice Truck !

Throw away those stupid too small wheels & tires and fit some correct 16" rims shod with LT205/75R16 tires that are 30" + diameter and it'll go 55 ~ 60 all day long as it is .

9. DarinC

DarinC Member

Thanks everybody! will be looking into the new rims/tires as well, as I'd like to go back with white walls anyway, may be a great reason to do it sooner than later.

10. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

Darin, Let me know what you find out on the wheels please. I'll be looking for a set as well. Haven't started researching yet though. Thanks.

11. Shruuuum

Shruuuum Member

that's a nice truck:)

12. Zig

Zig Member

Welcome!

Nice looking truck you have there! And you can drive it!
    Thanks for the pictures, because we love pictures!

13. Wolf

Wolf Member

Nice truck! Welcome. These guys are GOOD, real good.