transmission

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by kks, Jul 4, 2012.

1. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Brakes & Leaks

Firstly ;

The wetness on the frame is the gear oil leaking out of the steering box .

If your brakes ever leak enough to spray anything , you'll know right away as the pedal will go to the floor .(& your bum will snap shut with an audible click)

Anyways , only take apart ONE side at a time as you're going to be busy a few days cleaning and de rusting etc. .

I'd not consider re using the old brake cylinders, they're not expensive new , make sure you get WAGNER or BRNDIX branded hydraulic parts and replace ALL THREE brake flex hoses too as YOUR LIFE depends on the brakes . NAPA or other real partshaus will be able to get the good stuff , maybe RockAuto.com too .

Resist the urge to turn or machine the drums ! .

Pretty much it's all self evident , once you have the new cylinder bolted to the backing plate , remove the bleeder screw and attach the flex hose to the cylinder first then tighten it up , now attach the far end of the hose to the chassis end , this way it won't have any twisting in it , a *very* dangerous thing indeed :eek: .

Be sure to take the star adjusters all the way apart and clean them well before lightly lubicating the threaded parts with white lithium brake grease , nothing else ! .

Be aware this white grease is poisonous and dogs like to eat it so don't leave it open in the driveway .

TAKE PHOTOS of each brake as soon as you get the drum off ! .

This will help you figure out which spring etc. goes where later on .

Is this what you were asking for ? .

2. kks

kks Member

Thanks for the how to I appreciate it and follow the directions. I just trying to figure out where that fluid (in the pic) that is on the exhaust pipe came from. I believe that is what caused the smoke from the engine when I was driving it. Also when I would break the truck would pull the left pretty hard. Any thoughts on that?

3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Brake Pull

As there appears to be fluid leaking around the studs , I'm betting the cyinder is leaking .

When brake fluid gets on the brake shoes and is _cold_ it causes grabbing and severe brake pull to that side .

As it warms up , it reduces the friction on the wet shoes to near zero .

So , bang that drum off and gently lift the rubber dust boot , it's prolly be wet indicating it's dead .

You need to replace at the very least , BOTH front brake cylinders and the shoes , bleed it out and go again .

DO NOT let anyone have your old shoes until the job is 100 % done ! .

4. kks

kks Member

can someone take a look at the fluid on the exhaust in the earlier post, and give me you thoughts on where that fluid came from based on where it is on the pipe. thanks

5. sidewynder

sidewynder Member

That frame and inner fender hide a lot

But from the view I see in the picture, it looks like a drip from the above general direction. can also see where the wind on teh road is blowing it down teh side of the pipe. Can"t tell if the front spring bracket is close enough for the wind to possibly blow steering gearbox oil from there to the pipe, or if it is coming from the engine. if you slide under the truck to that bend in the exhaust pipe and look up, what do you see?

6. ccharr

ccharr Member

Martinius,

Your package is on its way, enjoy Happy Holidays.
    Charles

7. kks

kks Member

More pics

here are some closer pics of what I am trying to figure out. Ive replaced the wheel cylinders, and brake hoses on all back the left rear and am going to bleed the brakes tomorrow, put it all back together (oil pan, trans fluid, etc) and get it running again. But I sure would like to know where the hell that fluid came from the exhaust. Pointers on bleeding the brakes also would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Attached Files:

8. kks

kks Member

Also, I bought the cylinders at napa, they have bleeder screws on the back of them correct?

9. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Yes

Use snug fitting rubber hose on the bleeder nipple and dink it into a clear glass bottle .