Primer help

Discussion in 'Paint & Body' started by Shruuuum, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Shruuuum

Shruuuum Member

Hi guys,
    I know we have a lot of painters out there.
    Question;
    I just sprayed my first coat of building primer, and it feels like sand paper?
    Looking for possible reasons. I heard that it could be too hot out, could weather play a part? We didn't use a booth.
    Help...

Thanks,
    Lee

2. Reinovator

Reinovator Member

'Sand able primer' building primer etc. is not meant to be smooth but it can be. you can experiment with your pressure, and feed. your spray fan and your speed when applying. if your gong to fast. along your surface or to slow. yah it's a lot to take in all at once.:eek:
    but you'll get it. I would try pressure first. too much and it will cause it to cure part way before it adheres to the surface. this can cause to problems a bad bonding and the it will peel later. one other thing to look at is how your reducing the primer. this too can make a difference. too thick for out side temperatures high or low, etc. the best advise is practice.
    keep in mind temperatures. pressure, speed of application. don't get in a hurry, like I do. take your time. and give yourself time.
    I hope I helped:cool:

3. dmeadows12

dmeadows12 Member

Primer

I would suggest you thin the primer. PS: Most of your filler primers are sandable.