57 3100 wiring issue

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by Red57, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Red57

Red57 Member

I have an issue with my wiring on my 57 3100. Is there anyone out there that may have a picture of the original wiring of the ignition switch and the light switch along with the gauge cluster? There is a brown wire that comes out of the harness that goes to the gauge cluster, and I cannot figure out where it goes. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have the service manual, but I have no clue how to read this thing! By the way, the truck starts and runs so I know its not anything with that. This is a 235, 3 speed (column shift) with floor foot starter.

Attached Files:

2. steve

steve Member

Brown or Tan

Red,

Is that the horn or wiper wire? Did GM have electrical wipers for that year?

3. Red57

Red57 Member

I think it may be the horn wire. Electric wipers were an option, but this truck didn't have them. As for the rest of it, I'm clueless. Any ideas or pictures? If someone could just snap some pics of the back of their gauge cluster, light switch, and ignition switch, that would be a huge help for me.

4. steve

steve Member

Horn

Red,

I will try to snap some pictures, mine will look like a bird's nest, there is not much room behind the dash. If it's the horn, there should be one wire that runs down your steering colunm and this wire plugs in this connector. I looked at my service manual and it indecates this is the horn connection.

5. Red57

Red57 Member

Thanks Steve, that would be a huge help! I would greatly appreciate it. Any pictures you can get from behind the gauge cluster, light switch, ignition switch would be great. Thanks again Steve, you've already been a huge help.

6. Red57

Red57 Member

Actually Steve, if you can just shoot a picture of the light switch terminals, that would be great. Since we know the other wire is for the horn button, that takes care of that harness. Thanks!

7. steve

steve Member

Pictures of Switch

The wire color should be correct except for the dome light wires. Also there is a orange one bad picture but in inhte middle.

The front three pins (looking at the switch with pins up) are the ground (GRD) for dimming, Gray to the left are the (PL) panel (dash) lights. Also can be dimed.

The big orange in is the stop light.

Attached Files:

• 020.jpg
      020.jpg
      File size:
      103.9 KB
      Views:
    • 021.jpg
      021.jpg
      File size:
      108 KB
      Views:
    • 025.jpg
      025.jpg
      File size:
      114.2 KB
      Views:
  8. Red57

Red57 Member

This is perfect. Thanks Steve! I wish the manual I had would have a clear diagram like this! ha.