parts identification

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by spurgeon, Oct 6, 2012.

1. spurgeon

spurgeon Member

My kid's finding more stuff. Would these first 3 pics be hydraulic parts/fittings for a dump bed.

The 4th is a filter that says military standard filter. Would all/most GMCs have that, or would it more likely originally been a military truck?

Last, 3 & 5 - I haven't seen a horn button like this. Maybe just a larger truck thing?

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      84 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      70.9 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      87.3 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      57.3 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      58 KB
      Views:
  2. spurgeon

spurgeon Member

Meant to ask "all/most/some GMCs"

3. coilover

coilover Member

Can't tell much from filter shot but if it's mounted down on the block instead of bolted to the intake manifold there's a good chance it's a full flow filter. Had an Air Force 235 Chevy truck that had a full flow filter but it had the filter in a steel canister. If the unit driven by a belt in pic#2 does not have any fluid lines to it then it could be a govenor. I'd love to have a dozen of those dual groove crank pulleys. Here is a modern full flow filter for a Chev/Jimmy but the lines run the same as an old one. If yours match it's a full flow.

Attached Files:

4. spurgeon

spurgeon Member

It's on a GMC (270 or 302) in the usual location. I was just wondering the significance of the words "military standard filter"...

Governor makes sense.

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Neat

Where is your kid finding this stuff ? .

That's an engine governor , prolly a " Hoof " brand .

I see this rig has a PTO and maybe a trolly brake to boot ? .

These pics are not good enough to tell much .

6. spurgeon

spurgeon Member

Location is still secret, but middle Colorado.

This particular truck has quite a few goodies, and ownership is currently unknown...

7. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Middle Colorado is rich in old military surplus. At one point in time, within a 75 mile radius of Denver, it supported 1 Army post and 5 Air Force bases. Given that the truck has a governer and a oil filter stamped military standard, my guess would be that spurgeon's son has stumbled on an old graveyard for military vehicles. Having grown up as a military brat, including Lowery AFB in Denver, my first guess would be Air Force, as all my memories of AF vehicles were GM, most Army Posts had Dodge vehicles. Could be wrong.

Ken

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Secrets

O.K. ;

I can dig that ~ don't tell anyone until you've purchased it and dragged it home but then DO TELL as so many junkyards are clearing out old stuff that's been sitting for Decades , never any notice as the High Dollar scrap guys travel the Blue Roads with portable crusher and skip loaders , offer stupidly high prices and will do everything ~ the yard ape just opens the gate then sits there drinking in the shade for a day or three , when they're done he has scorched earth , 100 % clean , no little bits of metal , no weeds to clean up and a BIG handfull of cash :eek: .

:(

9. spurgeon

spurgeon Member

I seem to recall at least a similar horn button, since I was a teenager working in my grandfather's Chevy dealership.

Anybody know if it was just a larger truck thing?

10. spurgeon

spurgeon Member

data plate...

Attached Files:

11. spurgeon2

spurgeon2 Member

Finding stuff?

This truck (GMC 450) is sitting behind an old gas station along with some other old farm machinery and a couple other old trucks. Its behind chain link fence,etc. I hopped it to take a look and shot a few pictures to try and figure out what it is. I need to go to the town courthouse to see if I can find out who owns the property,etc. Its not a secret military junkyard just someplace someone has stored some machinery and trucks. If I can find out anything I will let you all know. There is an old Duece and a half plus a chevy viking fuel truck 62-68ish if anyone is interested.

The GMC is a 270 or 302 with the five speed transmission plus all the PTO stuff, two speed rear end,etc. I was hoping to see about the engine but will get everything I can if possible.

12. spurgeon2

spurgeon2 Member

picture #3

If you look close at picture number 3, look thru the windshield of the cab and you can see the chevy viking fuel truck plus what I assumed was an old "deuce" but I am not so sure now. I think maybe an old international?

john m.

13. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Other Junk

The Viking is a '60 ~ '61 & may well have a nice 261 engine for you , the other rig is indeed a Corn Binder .

14. spurgeon

spurgeon Member

a couple more pics

Attached Files:

15. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Country Junk

That looks like the usual sort of place to find the good stuff.....

I hope you grab this rig , even if only to break it for parts .