Maybe a little bondo??

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Bill Hanlon, Oct 13, 2012.

1. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

That is the fear of driving something cool and old. I hope he was insured, otherwise I would have been tempted to start carving. Good luck, don't settle until you feel comfortable, sometimes it helps to lawyer up just so they know you mean business.

2. coilover

coilover Member

Old Friend,
    Glad to see you'll be around to get even older. I would have guessed you at more than 6-5 but that was plenty enough to have that left side filled all the way to the damaged areas. I sold a 55 GMC big window to a young man nearby that I've heard is trying to trade it for a Chevy to get the "V" instrument cluster (He's crazy). Very straight little rust truck that I sold for $1500. If interested I'll contact him and see if it's on the market or if it's just for trade.

3. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Give him a call Evan.

What kind of shape is it in? 6? V8? What transmission?

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Bill's New Truck's Engine

It doesn't really matter Bill , you can toss that boat anchor V-ate out and plop in a proper InLiner 6 Banger :D .

5. 52wasp

52wasp Member

It's a GMC! Just fill the tires back up with air, check the oil, and fire her up. Thats not collision damage, its patina!

Seriously, Glad you are OK. Everything else can be replaced.

Seatbelts, what a great idea! Mounting hardware for 3-point, retractable lap-shoulder belts was delivered Friday to the shop where my cab is undergoing some serious surgery.

6. Larrys 48

Larrys 48 Member

Bill,
    Wow! Glad to hear you are OK.
    The truck is another story. God blessed you for another day.

7. GrandpaGlenn0

GrandpaGlenn0 Member

Bill, Your greatest decision when building that beautiful truck was the 3 points! My daughter had a very similar wreck but at 65 on an interstate- she ended upside down, hanging from the seatbelt and walked away without a scratch. Everybody should have 3 points! Thank goodness you are OK! Don't settle with the ins. company until you are satisfied with the amount-- most are fair but not all-- and its your right to fight for a fair settlement. Send me a PM if I can help---I work for an ins co but don't sell _ I just want fairness.
    Go to a doctor just to make sure there are no hidden injuries that don't show up for a while-- that is pretty common with whiplash/ neck injuries.
    Really sorry about that truck---

8. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

He had proof of insurance, no ID, the Taurus belongs to his cousin.

9. Elky67

Elky67 Member

Hi Bill,

from a fellow GMC owner, i´m glad, you could just walk away after that terrible
    accident happend. What a shame, another nice classic truck is prolly gone forever:mad:

My wife asked me, to install some seatbelts; now i see the reason why...

Good luck for your hunt for the next truck, maybe you can use some parts from
    the wreck to build your "new" one !!!

Greetings Elky67

10. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Should have read NO proof of insurance.

11. Coach529

Coach529 Member

CRAP.........hope it all works out for ya!!

12. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Time to commence the asswhoopin'. At least he wasn't drunk........Was he?

13. AZ58Cameo

AZ58Cameo Member

Bill,I am So Sorry! But Glad Your OK! and Hope You Feel better,I stand 6'4" and can Only
    imagine what the Impact must of felt Like like hanging in that Cab,Man.
    You had Such a Beautiful Truck,are you going to replace it if you can? and are you staying with a GMC if you do? If I See any thing out there would you want us to pass it on to you? That is if you are still wanting to replace it and I really hope you do!
    Let me Know if there is ANY Thing I could Do for You, FWIW
    Allen

14. CoachG

CoachG Member

Wow! Sorry to about the truck, glad your ok. I was thinking about putting bucket seats in mine and adding seat belts. Looks like that might be the thing to do! Hope you get into a new truck soon.

15. Shruuuum

Shruuuum Member

Wow Bill sad to see that old truck that way, but glad to hear your ok. Zig's right give God the glory for that:)

16. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

OK, Where is OOTY? It looks like you're using a translater for your typing, So I'm wondering where you are? Just curious, as we have members from several nations outside the U.S.A.

17. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Bill,

What's the status in regards to dealing with your insurance folks? And who did you have your insurance with? Maybe if they don't treat you right we can all make some adjustments, if need be.

18. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

For those of you who are wondering, I have settled with my insurance company for an agreeable amount. I'm out the $250 deductable for un-insured motorists, but otherwise am satisfied with the settlement.

I have decided not to keep ownership of my GMC. The insurance company wanted to short me $2500 if I kept it. I'm sure I could have made that and more back from salvageable parts, but it could have taken a few years to get even and I would have had to store all those bits and pieces somewhere.

Thanks to all of you for your support, especially those who offered to help me take it apart.

I've become addicted to this forum over the years and will probably keep hanging around if you'll have me. Who knows, I might find an old Chevy truck to keep me interested until the right GMC comes along.

19. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Hurry up and buy another truck before bills and honeydos eat up your settlement.

20. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Bill, just let it be known that you are on "double secret probation"! It's kind of like being on "unemployment":D You have to show us that you are actively seeking a replacement vehicle or your benefits get cut off!