parking brake cable too short

Discussion in '1967-1972' started by duf, Sep 27, 2012.

1. duf

duf Member

hi i have a 72 1/2 ton short bed.i put in drive line from a 72 3/4 ton.i used newer rear brakes from a 74 k20 now have 13" brakes.also 4" lift,problem is i bought cables for 74 k20 and they wont reach the brackets on the frame looks like about 8 inches too short they are 44 1/4 total and housing is 28".what do i have to do?one person told me to make my own i have not seen any kits for that

2. mike 16

mike 16 Member

if you end up making your own cables, stop by an airport where small general aviation aircraft are repaired and ask aircraft mechanics. typically the have the tools and parts to crimp cable ends that will work.

if they dont have what you need or maybe unwilling to help the next best deal is to order up a catologe from a company called Aircraft Spruce and Specialty company. they supply parts and toos to the home built aircraft industry and will have what you need, it will be expensive to buy the parts and tools to do a single park brake cable but thats the life in this industry.

also if your wandering around the airport ask around for a recently copy of Trade-a-Plane. it too will have vendors that sell tools and parts for your endevour.

also if the cables that extend from the rear drums are too short on the new rear perhaps the old ones from the origonal rear will work in the new rear. Also, look in the parts book for cable dimensions. if i am not mistaken ther is a difference in length between the middle cable for a turbo 400 aplication and a manual tranny application. also the cable that runs from the park brake pedal to the middle cable is two different lengths....i think.

a parts guy can be your best friend if he lets you look at his old catologs.