Stock seat vs updated seat

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Coach529, Nov 6, 2012.

1. blueskies

blueskies Member

You can see what I don't like about my stock seat in this vid clip...

http://youtu.be/e4TRRwBZK9U?hd=1

It is super bouncy. I don't notice it much just running around, but at night a long run, it drives me nuts. Because in the dark, it looks like the gauges are bouncing up and down in my perriferal vision, and it starts to make my head spin...

Pete

2. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Mine really doesn't bounce. Maybe you need to tie down the springs? Is the burlap still in there?

3. blueskies

blueskies Member

It's been so long since I redid my seat, I don't know exactly what I used to cover the springs... I got it from a local upholstery shop, and I think it was a synthetic material designed for covering springs. It was a tough dense weave. I covered the springs with this material, then a thin layer of foam, and then the seat cover.

There is some comfort in the spring action of the seat, but just a bit too much...

Pete

4. NEWFISHER

NEWFISHER Member

I just finished mine last night. Here's what I did:
    Stripped the mouse hotel down to the bare frame/springs, repaired any bent or broken springs and made sure I pulled all of them back into shape ( sight across the seat to see the level of them). Painted both halves. Covered the back portion with burlap, traced around the edge and trimmed off excess so the only portion was covering the spring area. I then hog ringed the burlap to the spring support rods so it wouldnt move. i did the same thing to the bottom half of the seat. I then layed cotton batting 1/2 thick over the burlap on the seat that your back rest's against. Any foam or thicker material will push you forward and is ok if you are short, me ---6'4" so just the cotton. On the bottom seat I trimmed out a 2 inch thick medium density foam 1/2 larger than the spring or seat surface area and glued it to the burlap with spray adhesive after centering it. Fitted the cover to the back portion, pulled and stretched it then started a couple hog rings at the center of the frame surround on both the front and the back of that cushion. i worked my way towards the sides both on the front and back of the frame until I got to the sides. Hog ringed the sides starting at the middle and working towards the corners. bundled the material around at the corners and hog ringed it down. Forget about those crappy factory clips, they suck and rip the vinyl if you are not an Octopus or have all of your family members holding something during the installation of those things. It does help to have someone loading rings into the hog pliers and helping. Fit the bottom cover and work from the middle out to the corners too. I had ordered a pre cut/sewn cover off of the internet and it had traveled across country in a brown truck for a week. I was so excited to get it installed, that I didn't lay it in the sun or tumble it in the drier and you can see some small folding wrinkles in the pics, but they will dissapear in a couple days with the sun. The seat looks awsome and rides great, not too much padding, no jumpy bouncy feel, its just right like baby bears bed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Zig

Zig Member

That is BEAUTIFUL!!! Great job!

6. Coach529

Coach529 Member

That is beautiful!! Thanks for the step by step!!

7. coralhead

coralhead Member

I second that as well.

8. coonkka

coonkka Member

This is very nice.. Good work