The motor is out again

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by graham, Oct 23, 2012.

1. graham

graham Member

After waiting for 6 months to get the motor back in the truck and putting dual carburetors on it and tuned it where it's running good the motor lost oil pressure. The motor only has 200 miles on it I pull the oil filter and found a lot of silver metal comming out of the oil filter. I called the shop and told them what was going on they told me to put new oil in it and drive it to them so I did by time I got to them at 2000 rpms it only had 7 pounds of oil pressure and sounded like the bottom end was comming apart. So now I get to have the fun of pulling it out and waiting for them to see what is wrong with it now and fixing it. I love the motor because it's so simple and easy to work on and looks good in the truck. But my brother is trying to talk me in to doing a LS1 swap into the truck but I realy don't want to go that way.

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Stand tall

And be firm .

Someone made a mistake but once you sort this out , your truck won't be like anyone else's.....

3. CoachG

CoachG Member

I can't believe the shop told you to put new oil in it and drive it after you found shavings in the oil! Something is not getting oiled properly. Either crankshaft or cam has not been replaced properly or an oil jacket is stopped up for what ever reason. Good luck!

4. Coach529

Coach529 Member

Bad deal......keep us in the loop for what you find!!

5. graham

graham Member

I called the shop today and they said it looks like the oil pump failed but the bearings and crank have wear marks on them. So they are going to send the oil pump out to get it checked and chech the block line bore and bearings to see if they were bad also. So now I get to wait again to see what happens.

6. Zig

Zig Member

Sorry to hear of the troubles you're having~ Hopefully they make it right for you without too much in the way of $$$.

7. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

I would make sure they replace the pump with a new one and not rebuild the old one, hot tank the block, cam, rods and crank to get all the metal fragments out, replace all bearings including cam, rods and main. when they hot tank the cam they will have to replace the cam gear too, blow out all oil passages, Re scuff the cylinders and start fresh. Don't let them put a band aid on a compound fracture. After all they are responsible and anything less than perfection will result in failure after the warranty expires. Good luck ....Big Tim :cool:

8. graham

graham Member

Talked to the shop today and they are going to rebuild the motor again they said they think it was the oil pump so they sent it out to get it checked. So the plan is to get the motor done before Thanksgiving also they are looking for a cam to give it a little bit more power.

9. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Oil Pumps & Cams

Be aware the very best cam will be a new (not reground !) one from a 1962 Chevy C-50 with a 261 .

The oil pump is super simple to test : drop it into a Coffee Can 1/2 filled with oil and twirl the shaft with a bent up coat henger in an old hand drill ~ oil will come gushing out very quickly if it's any good .

Me , I've seen far too many defective brandy new Melling oil pumps to trust new ones any more .

It's been decades since I had a 235 oil pump apart but , we used to routinely take oil pumps apart and measure the distance between the gears & the cover , if it's more than .002" , the pump will have poor performance both pressure and volume ~ hand lap the cover or mouth of the pump body until there's nearly zero clearance as the cover gasket will provide at least .002" .

Some pumps this cannot be done too , I've forgotten how a 235 pump looks inside , good luck trying to get anyone to take the time and effort to do this basic old tech upgrade .

I trust you can do it but no one else .

10. graham

graham Member

Is that cam better then the stock one in the truck and the 261 cam fit a 235 block?

11. 1951chevy1ton

1951chevy1ton Member

Nate, Can you post a Part # and a source for this cam? NAPA does not list a part# for 1962-261 cam, What is different with 261 cam VS 54/55 Corvette cam for a 235 with "848" head? And why 1962 C50 261? Thanks , Jerry

12. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

235/261 Cam

Yes , it is a slip in fit .

The profile was improved for the use in Medium Duty Trucks that would routinely be run at higher RPM's most of the time .

The same cam was used in the first Corvettes with the 235 engine .

I don't have part #'s you'll have to look it up by application : C-50 / C-60 with 261 engine .

Any 1956 > 1962 261 application will do .

If you replace the gears , use only a matched set from the same brand else they'll howl like the dickens .

Sorry for the late replies .

13. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

inforced 261 cam

You might give a call to Patricks in AR or Iskendirian. They can help you out here!

http://www.patricksantiquecars.com/chevy_parts.html

http://www.iskycams.com/

Sinc. Martinius.

14. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Cam Up Grade

Whatever you do , DO NOT get suckered into buying any ' 3/4 ' or ' race ' cam ! .

The 261 cam is a carefully thought out grind that allows buttery smooth power application from 800 RPM on up to " oops I broke it " speeds .

Adding more than one carby just improved the throttle response , power and fuel economy , evenly across all RPM & load scenarios .

15. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

http://www.cliffordperformance.net/ Go to this web site. They have different cams and complete packages to choose from and they will guarantee them if you use their oil pump. The 261 cam is nice but you won't have a big difference in power for all the work you are putting in to the engine. I have used these people in the past and they are very knowledgeable. Good luck.... Big Tim :cool: