Disc Brake Change Over

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GMC Pickups Talk' started by 1 apache ride, Jan 15, 2006.

1. 1 apache ride

1 apache ride Member

I want to convert to disc/drum on my 58 3100 short box. Question, how complicated is the job, will stock wheels (6 lug) still fit, and I want to use a power boost mounted where the stock brake cylinder is located. Any suggestions on parts, kits, etc. Thanks for any help.

2. tech1

tech1 Member

What size tranmission do you have in this truck? also if you change over to disc brakes you will not be able to use your stock wheels unless you use spacers behind the wheels.

Jesse Hazell Chevy Duty Tech.

3. 1 apache ride

1 apache ride Member

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Jan-16-06 AT 08:04 PM (CST)]I have a 235 cid with three speed trans. The rims are the orginial stock rims. Seen the complete kit with booster in Chevy Duty, thought about getting that. Was wondering if it is a weekend project or a more serious job for a mechanic.

4. tech1

tech1 Member

This kit should work for you if your truck is a 1/2 ton 2 wheel drive, this kit can be installed in a weekend, I think the hardest part about it is modifying your bake lines and bleeding the system.

5. 1 apache ride

1 apache ride Member

Yes, the truck is a 1/2 ton 2WD short bed. You say SHOULD work, is there some doubt? You mentioned modifying the brake lines, does CD sell a kit with all new brake lines for the modification? Also, does the power booster and new master cyl mount right in the same place as the old master cylinder?

Thanks for your help.
    OFRT Member

6. tech1

tech1 Member

No doubt, just didn't know what tonnage it was, i assumed it was a 1/2 ton... Chevy Duty does not sell a brake line kit for these modifications, if you order kit numbers 71-975c6, and the roller bearings 73-062k, you'll be set up to make your brake lines and go..

and yes the booster and master cylinder do mount in the stock location under the floor board.

7. 1 apache ride

1 apache ride Member

Yes it is a 1/2 ton. Thanks for all the info. Sounds like it going to be time to get started.

Apache Ride

8. mikesters1950

mikesters1950 Member

Apache, I did the power disc conversion on my 1950 3100. It is doable if you have some mechanical skills. The brake lines do need to be modified, there are write ups on how to do it. I used straight brake lines that you can buy at Napa auto parts, and cut and bent as needed. A couple of problems I ran into was that the caliper brackets didnt work well with the steering stops, the speedo cable is a very tight bend around the booster with my stock tranny, and some of the mounting holes didnt quite line up when mounting the booster setup. Also I would recommend the remote mounted reservior setup for ease of access to brake fluid. I had to add a pressure activated brake light switch due to some other changes I made, and there is also a low pressure warning light sensor you should probably hook up. Overall I am pretty happy with the setup, and it stops like crazy. I went to a different wheel setup, but the wheels I had seemed to clear the calipers with no modifications, although I have heard that spacers may be needed. I would definitely advise the upgrade if you are to drive it daily in traffic. Hope this helps.....Mike

9. 1 apache ride

1 apache ride Member

Mike, Thanks for the advice. It sounds like it is a weekend or two job. I am doing disc front and drum rears. I really want to stay with the stock rims. Where did you get the remote reservior setup? You mentioned some write ups on how to modify the brake lines do you have a link to them or the information.