Can you identify this transmission?

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Bill Hanlon, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Anyone on the forum willing to bet their life (or at least their reputation) on identifying this transmission?

Maybe you could just bet Ken's life???;)

Attached Files:

2. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

This isn't a trick question. I need to knoow what kind of tranny this is. I won't be able to see it for a few days.

3. MN Jim

MN Jim Member

I thought it might be a trick question. But my guess is a TH350. Others out there might have a better idea than me though.

Jim

4. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Never mind guys. Was looking to buy the truck that was advertized in Houston's Craigslist at a really good price.

I assume it is a scam. Truck was at a shipping company in LA. No way I was going to buy even a great deal sight unseen.

Seller had the following story:

The truck is now located in Los Angeles at a shipping company- Global Transport LTD (http://www.global-itrans.com). Last week I had 3 free days to visit my nephew in hospital and I took advantage to make all the necessary arrangements to sell the truck. I found a buyer for it, I went ahead and made the arrangements for the shipping and he paid all the fees, but unfortunately, my buyer’s loan was not approved so I was not able to complete the transaction with him and I still have it ready to ship anywhere for free. Because I had to move back on the platform and because my next free days will be next month, I signed a power of attorney for the shipping company to represent me in this sale. They will ship the truck with all the documents that you need in order to register it (bill of sale, title owners manual.., etc.). If you want to see more details about how we can complete the sale, you can visit the website of the company for more details about how the system works at http://www.global-itrans.com/how-it-works?lang=en .

To contact the company and begin the transaction I need the following information: your name, your address, phone number (a mobile one if you have).

Thank you,

5. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

So, I cheated the Grim Reaper again?!:eek: I need to re-evaluate our relationship Hanlon!;):D

6. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Truck for sale ?

Hey Bill

It might be an idea to show us the Graiglists ad and the truck you considdered to buy ? If your unshore about the sellers intensions you could contact the transport compagny mentioned in the ad and ask them about the truck or your state road inspection department to check up the ownership status , VIN or numberplates ?

Martinius.

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Craigslist Scammers

That certainly sounds like a scam to me Bill ! .

As it looks like :

A. cast iron

And B. appears to have a vacuum servo/modulator on the right side , I wasn't going to stick my neck out with out better pix .

In any case , why don't you tell them your Dealer Trained Chevy Mechanic (me) just so happens to live in Los Angeles and would like to inspect it , unless they immediatey give you direct contact info and/or the physical address , it's a scam . if they give this info , I'll go give it a look for you but remember : what I consider a nice old Truck in need of some repairs , might be your idea of junk :p .

Either way I'll be happy to help if I can .

FWIW , I hate ' curbstoners ' as they're 99 + 44/100 % liars and cheaters .

I don't mind folks buying & flipping vehicles , just be HONEST for Christ's sakes :mad: .

It really isn't that difficult , I sold rebuilt used cars (90 % VW's) and never had even one come back or any complaints .

In fact , 20 years later I had strangers stop me in the street and thank me , that was weird .

8. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Nate, you've made my day. That is the exact response I was hoping for and I will make that offer now. I'll let you know what happens. If you actually do the inspection and test drive be sure to bill me for your services.

I just sent this: David. I have contacted an old friend (and Chevy dealer trained mechanic) in the LA area who is willing to inspect and test drive the truck for me. When can he do so?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  9. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

A good and secure solution in this situation !

I am very glad these posseble solutions came up for you Bill. Nate is a great resource to have when it comes to help out friends. I am shore it will give an outcome without you taking any risks.

By the way i hate scammers but they are out there all the time so beware :mad:

Good luck Martinius.

10. coilover

coilover Member

I'd bet my life (and Ken's) that it is a short tail Turbo 350. If it showed the whole pan I'd even tell you what color panties the last women to drive it had on.

11. Rich 5150 69

Rich 5150 69 Member

If its cast iron , it's a power glide, they never made a cast iron th350.

12. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

As expected, after Nate's inspection and test drive services were offered last Friday, I never heard from the guy again.

To save the rest of you the time it takes to come to the same decision that I did, here is the add in Houston Craigslist (with no mention that the truck is in LA)
    http://houston.craigslist.org/ctd/3439311135.html
    along with the pictures of the truck:
    http://imgur.com/a/CwAyC#4PRNs

If this isn't a scam, the seller really needs to get his act together.

13. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

And then what happens???

A few minutes after my previous post I get another e-mail from him exactly the same as a previous one, asking for my contact info (which I had already sent). No acknowledgement of my request for my agent (Nate) to inspect and drive the truck.

14. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Cut off the roll pan, fix the dash and throw in a bench, that thing would be right!

15. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Not serious and a typicall strategy in attemp of Scam !

Bill

If the guy never has given you any personal contact information like his name or adres and phone number , VIN number, license plate number then i am shore its an attempt of scam ?

Martinius

16. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

Looks like a scam. I see this all the time on Craig's list. If there isn't a phone number for you to talk to a live person then it's a scam. Recently I seen a 25000.00 dollar Toyota Tundra 4X4 crew cab truck listed for 6300.00 I Emailed the guy and asked him where it was located and he told me the name of a town in North Dakota. I emailed back and told him I was in a town 50 miles away and if he would give me a address I would come look at it cash in hand. He said he was out of the country. Anyways I was playing him like he was trying to play me and he side stepped everything I had to say with a new excuse. Bottom line is never trust someone that refuses to give you any personal contact information about them or that will let you see in person what they are selling....Big Tim :cool:

17. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

The same scammer is back with a new truck, a new e-mail address and a new name. Found this on Houston Craigs List last night. http://houston.craigslist.org/ctd/3593410414.html

Sent the following e-mail to the address listed on CraigsList.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Found this truck http://houston.craigslist.org/ctd/3593410414.html advertised on Houston Craig’s list.

Is it in the Houston area?

What is your asking price?

Is it road worthy?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Received this answer from "Gerald Miller" today.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, the truck is still available for sale. the price is $4,800. I'm forced to sell for personal reasons under market value. I don't want to offend you but the truck is priced for a fast sale so please if you intend to apply for a loan or financing do not reply.

few words about the truck: second owner, 1952 Chevrolet Pickup Truck 3100 , 8 CYL engine, Automatic Transmission. the truck has only 110 miles. in great shape, no engine problems, oil changed properly. The truck has always been stored inside, non-smoking vehicle. I have a clear title for it. Here you have the pics: http://imgur.com/a/NKuW2

Anyway, I want to tell you that I am currently on a on a oil platform where I work as an engineer in the oil extraction for Chevron. I'm selling the truck only because my nephew has a medical problem and my sister needs urgently money for an operation. All my family and friends contributed for the surgery but she still needs some money and I decided to sell my truck to help her. I didn't hesitate when I decided to sell it because the life of my nephew is more important than any good I have. I hope you will empathize with my situation and understand that I urgently need to sell it.

Thank you,
    Gerard Miller

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I'll post what I just sent back to Gerald
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Gee Gerald, I’m sorry to hear about your nephew. Maybe you should contact your fellow off shore oil Chevron employee David Taylor and see how he worked out his similar problem. You seem to have a lot in common. Here is an e-mail from him that I received in early December that uses identical language to yours.

Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2012 1:20 PM
    To: Hanlon, Bill
    Subject: RE: 1954 Chevrolet Pickup Truck Pro Deluxe Touring Street )*&^%%^& - $6507

Hi, the truck is still available for sale. the price is $6,500. I'm forced to sell for personal reasons under market value. I don't want to offend you but the truck is priced for a fast sale so please if you intend to apply for a loan or financing do not reply.

few words about the truck: second owner, 1954 Chevrolet Pickups , 8 CYL engine, Automatic Transmission. the truck has only 34,526 miles. in great shape, no engine problems, oil changed properly. The truck has always been stored inside, non-smoking vehicle. I have a clear title for it. Here you have the pics: http://imgur.com/a/CwAyC

Anyway, I want to tell you that I am currently on a on a oil platform where I work as an engineer in the oil extraction for Chevron. I'm selling the truck only because my nephew has a medical problem and my sister needs urgently money for an operation. All my family and friends contributed for the surgery but she still needs some money and I decided to sell my truck to help her. I didn't hesitate when I decided to sell it because the life of my nephew is more important than any good I have. I hope you will empathize with my situation and understand that I urgently need to sell it.

Thank you,
    David Taylor

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  18. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

The only thing to do is to report the f...... !

Bill

I`ll gues you allready have send in a scam attempt report through Graighslist but there are many other ways to stop these f........Have a Look at the list of reporting options through the same web provider. They will be able to block there ads.

Martinius.