Stock rear brake pedal

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Coach529, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Coach529

Coach529 Member

I am using the stock rear brake pedal on my 49 with an upgraded master cylinder, prop valve and disc brakes in the front.

I was sitting in "Henry" tonight and wondering why the damn brake pedal has to sit so far off the floor. It is about 9-1/2" off the floor. It sure would be alot easier to go between throttle and brake with the pedal closer to the floor.

Has anybody ever shortened the throw?

2. Zig

Zig Member

You'll get use to it, trust me. It's interactive driving at it's finest!
    You already bought your goodies, but I think the firewall mounted mc's might allow for what your wanting.

3. Elky67

Elky67 Member

Coach, yes I have done it. As my wife is also driving the truck, i wanted her
    to feel as comfortable and safe as possible.

I also added disk brakes at the front and a power assisted mc, so i thought
    there wouldn´t be a problem, to take out about 3 or 4 inches off the pedal.

Just welded back the plate and it was a total different(better) feeling.

Hope this helps:)

4. Coach529

Coach529 Member

Great info.....thanks!!

5. GrandpaGlenn0

GrandpaGlenn0 Member

I remember reading (don't know where) that the firewall needs reinforcing if you mount the MC there. I hope someone can confirm or refute this info - just want everyone to be safe.

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

M/C Mount

Only if you want to be SAFE ~ others will take the chance of a firey death :eek: .

7. Zig

Zig Member

That's the least of the problems for me~

I cringe at the thought of having to get back up under the dash for ANYTHING~ let alone trying to work in the reinforcement needed for this operation. I once considered doing this, but that was then...

8. Wolf

Wolf Member

For me with huck brakes I like that extra travel. My peddle is high and tight! The farther away from the floor the better;)

9. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Brake Pedal Height

Although Huck (rhymes with SUCK) brakes you need it else you'll die :eek: ,

A high brake pedal is also a good thing on any working rig and certainly anything with drum brakes no matter how well you maintain it .

The MC's pushrod freeplay can be critical and should always rattle if you shake it by hand , else it's too tight .

More than once I've over driven some old rigs brakes until the harder I pushed , the faster it went , once the brake pedal begins touching the toe board , you're in deep doo-doo .

Still and all , most of my oldies all run original drum brakes albeit carefully maintained and adjusted .

The Met's tiny , toy looking dual leading shoe front brakes only last 6,000 miles or so before I have to reline the shoes ~ they stop much better than you'd think but I don't think BMC was figuring me or anyone else routinely driving it 70 MPH down twisty canyons with Sports Cars...... :D .

I keep breaking off front wheels too , I may try some vintage Dunlop alloy wheels I recently found , they're nice but I like steelies and stock chrome hubcaps .