I need help

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by ajohnson, Apr 23, 2005.

1. ajohnson

ajohnson Member

To all Truck Experts,
    I purchased a 66 chevy 1/2 ton truck as a suprise for husband. The truck only cost $300.00. It had been stored in a barn. I asked a man I thought I could trust to assist me in fixing up this old truck and to introduce me to someone who could make the truck look beautiful...He did. This person is doing all the body work for me and I am Happy. However, the person I thought I could trust has told me I owe him $3600.00 for a rebuilt(6 Cylinder)engine. He took it to a machine shop and told them it was a rush job and to replace everything on the motor broke or not broke. He never wanted to put a wrench to it! Even if it was not broke would you have replaced the Harmonic Balencer,Oil sending unit,Motor Mounts,Dip Stick,Altanator,Pulleys,Water Pump,Radiator (custom he said it had to be)That was $300.00. He also wants to charge me $2003.00 for brakes,yoke,master cylinder,races,(To take out the engine is $580.00),adjuster kits, 3 U Joints, and a few other small things. I have not paid him yet! It not the money...The man that is fixing up the body for me tells me I am been taken advantage of. Am I? What Should I do. I do not know alot about cars. I just wanted to do something nice for my husband. :-( Please help me. People have told me he did. Do you think he did? So $3600.00 plus $2003.00 is $5603.00. This man thinks he did nothing wrong.:'(

2. hkypooh

hkypooh Member

I think you are being taken to the cleaners. I know in the Chattanooga, TN area a completely rebuilt Chevy 350 V-8 engine with everything would be in the $1200--1500 range. The radiator, I know when I restored my 61 Chevy I only had to have it boiled out which was around $50. As for the brakes, you could go to our hosts here Chevy Duty and get a master cyl., new brake shoes and cylinders, new brake hoses and etc. for probley under $600. I hope you can get something worked out. I feel for you.

http://webpages.charter.net/hkypooh/:( :(

3. dcsi5919

dcsi5919 Member

Ann:

$3,600.00 for a brand new 6 cylinder would be out of line, let alone rebuilding the one you provided with the truck. Secondly, you could purchase a built 350cid GM crate motor for much less than $3,600.00.

$2,003.00 should do a complete rebuild of the entire brake system including master cylinder, brake lines, shoes, drums, cylinders and emergency brake. Secondly, you could purchase an entire 4 wheel disc brake set up for this truck for less than $2,003.00. Also, the engine does not need to be removed for a brake system overhaul and even if it did, the engine can be removed in a couple hours with the right tools & equipment.

I'm sorry to hear about your demise. There are many well-meaning, honest business people out there doing a good job for the money it costs to have this type of work done. Before you pay for anything, request an itemized labor and material spreadsheet listing all the parts that were repaired or replaced. Additionally, request receipts to back up the costs of the materials. If he engaged a shop to perform any services, request the same to back up the costs of the work they performed.

"Hind sight is 20/20", as they say. In the future, always get a written estimate, specifying the scope of services to be provided, including labor rates and material costs. Also, always request a parts and workmanship guarantee. If the individual or shop is reluctant to provide any of this information, they should be avoided. Sometimes it is difficult to provide a firm-fixed price for service or repairs, however providing an order of magnitude price or a not to exceed price is an option that should be a worse-case scenario. It is also important to communicate your time frame to the person performing the work. Rush to you and rush to the individual performing the work can be very different. Mutually agreeing on a time schedule for completing tasks and/or the entire project will eliminate the confusion of what "rush" means and the premium costs that may be charged to rush the project.

Best of luck with your situation. It is a difficult matter to deal with after the work has been performed, however if the individual has nothing to hide and his intentions are above board, he should be willing to provide the information mentioned above. If not, I would consider bringing in a third party individual that is knowledgeable about restoration costs to arbitrate on your behalf.

By the way, it is every man's dream to have a significant other do such a nice thing, let alone to be ambitious enough to give it a try. I hope it works out in your favor and you and your husband get many good years out of your gesture.

LILRD66 ('66, C-10)
    BCKNBLK ('66, K-10)

4. ajohnson

ajohnson Member

Thank you for your comments very much. A receipt was given on the brakes and other?. He wanted me to sign it, I didn't. He jerked it out of my hand. No receipt has been given on the motor.
    The "thought I could trust man" has the Frame of the truck. I had it sand blasted. He just went to pick it up from the body man for the motor to be placed back. Now I can not get my frame back. to put the truck back on. And it is strictly principle. Did I tell you the truck will be RED. I wanted to be so excited when I could hand my husband a little tiny toy truck in a box with a big key. I do not like to be taken advantage of. I have saved and saved for this truck. I have paid everything in a timely manor to the body man. He charges me $25.00 per hour. He orders all non engine parts for me and only charges what the CHEVYDUTY book says.
    Since the machine shop won't give an itemized statement of the engine work done. What do I do now! No he and the Thought I could trust man do not speak. My body man says the same thing all of you say. Do I buy a new motor and frame or...How many of you would write a check for $5603.00 for breaks & Stuff and a 6 cylinder? Remember no statement on the motor. I don't think I should sigh anything yet. Still sad but feel better because of everyone's comments:'(

5. dcsi5919

dcsi5919 Member

Ann:

Contact the Better Business Bureau in your area. Let them know your situation and ask for their input regarding your situation and if there are any means to settle your dispute with the parties involved. If so, take full advantage of this avenue. If not, seek the advice of the small claims court in your area. I believe in settling matters without getting attorneys involved, however if all parties are not willing to reach mutually acceptable terms, you have to protect your interest. If they are unwilling to release your property to you until you sign something and pay the stated amount, you may be forced to pursue legal actions. In closing, do not threaten legal action unless you plan to follow through. The next thing I would do is request the detailed labor and material cost summary in writing and send it certified mail with signature required. By doing so, you are on record in writing of the dispute. It is important to recap all details regarding time commitments, scope of services to be provided, cost of work to be performed and any other pertinent information discussed. Best of luck with your situation.

LILRD66 ('66, C-10)
    BCKNBLK ('66, K-10)

6. coilover

coilover Member

Ann-- I have owned a restoration shop for over 25 years and could write a book as long as War and Piece on people that have been in your same situation. The milk has been spilled for you but I will tell everyone reading this to never take an old car to a regular body shop or a regular repair shop. The best you can hope for is for them to take months or even years longer to do the job than is reasonable. Of course the reason for this is money, money, money. All you will pay on an old car or truck is straight shop time but if they can beat flat-rate on modern vehichles they can pocket big bucks while the antique sits in the corner and gathers dust. Even when picking a restoration shop insist on references because if the're good and fair they won't have to sell their services, the referred people you talk to will sell you on them. Now back to your situation, what part of the country do you live in? I have a couple of short frames like yours and one long one. Whichever one you need is yours for free and we'll even sandblast and paint it. My engine man said he would do a 250 for less than a thousand even if it requires new valve guides and seats. Of course all his engines have new pistons, oil pump, timing chains and gears, etc. I'm in the Dallas area and no I'm not looking for buisiness--we have a 2 1/2 year waiting period on restorations.

7. drabo

drabo Member

Evan you're the man. Not too many people these days would do that for some one. Tell your "Man you can trust" to keep the frame. Get another frame and have power disc brakes put on it for that price. For the price he wants for an inline 6 you can get a sweet 350 HO Deluxe from GM. With the left over money put in a 700r4 tranny.
    Either way this guy is bad news. Good luck.

Pete