My 1965 Chevy Stepside Build

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by CJay65, Feb 9, 2013.

1. CJay65

CJay65 Member

Hey guys been checking out thesse forums for awhile and decided to start my own!! I started this build when i was 15 with my dad helping guide me as i went along its now been a year and im proud of the progress ive done considering im still in school!!:D

Attached Files:

2. CJay65

CJay65 Member

when i got the truck it included a 400sbc:cool:

Attached Files:

3. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Welcome! Awesome truck, & it's my favorite color and year too!

4. CJay65

CJay65 Member

Thanks! In fact ive been through your whole build and followed through with the gas tank thank you for the help!!

5. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Glad I could help. A 400 sbc and headers, I am betting it sounds sweet. What kind of mufflers are you running? Is your truck an auto or manual trans?

6. CJay65

CJay65 Member

Well i didnt leave the engine in the shape i got it and im glad i didnt after doing the rebuild i found that every top compression ring on all 8 pistons was shattered but it still ran great. Here are some picks of the engine after the build!! Its got a 700R4 automatic transmission

Attached Files:

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Engine Works

Was there a significant cylinder ridge ? .

Did you bore the block ? .

I like those Ram Horn manifolds .

Your GINORMOUS shop too ! :) .

8. CJay65

CJay65 Member

It wasnt that bad suprisingly but we did send it to a machine shop to have it completely gone through and machined. Got an engine kit from EngineTech and found a good set of corvette fuely heads to throw on:D Yeah my dad owns a buisness working on heavy equipment so hes got a big shop!!

Attached Files:

9. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Looking Good !

Although I'm a Journeyman Mechanic , I've assiduously avoided working on V-8's over the decades , I do always like to see careful , well thought out works being done though .

IIRC , the 1970's SBC's used large valves to compenaste for the lower compression ratio , some of the fellas in the big Truck Shop I worked at in the 1980's knew every Chevy SBC cylinder head ever made and often swapped them 'round to make powerful 350's at little co$t .

Luckily , they litter the American ladnscape so once you know what heads you want , they're dirt cheap anywhere ~ folks who say differently are either tying to $queeze your wallet or simply don't know .

The real $ comes in having them properly rebuilt .

Keep up the pictures and commentary please .