Fulton visor

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Guest5979, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

I saw one here for sale here local over $$500 not very clean is that the going price for one??? I guess for that kind of cash i should take it off my one day wish list. I know gm stuff sells for big bucks.
    Robert:(

2. DeadZoneTruckin

DeadZoneTruckin Member

The cheapo Chinese repop Fulton's cost $500.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FULTON-SUN-...rolet|Model:Truck&hash=item589c324744&vxp=mtr

This has created a demand for nice Original Fulton's in complete & excellent condition.
    There are a lot old Fulton's out there that are beat up ,missing parts & have hail damage but, the supply of really nice original units is dwindling.

Here is a good example of what happens when the demand for nice original ones is greater than the supply....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FULTON-800-...fWIu9TvaBrOi3VNkR%2BM%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Don't Despair !

Robert ;

First do the research to find out which specific Fulton Sun Shade fits an AD as they're not all the same , the vendors will always sell you whatever they have on hand , LYING and saying this is the correct part.

Then , go to PO-Mona and buy one for $200 or less . there's no shortage of these in So. Cal. yet , new or used .

If you're " Yankee Thrifty " (means : cheap) like me , you can make a simple sign and hang it on your back saying " Sun Visor Wanted for '47~'54 Chevy Truck" and have cash ready ~ you'll get several for $150 or less.....

DO NOT buy one sans the various brackets and clamps , screws etc. as those parts are repopped but can be $pendy and hard to find .

If you can afford it , I highly suggest buying a good used one from Joe as it'll be the correct item and fit well plus you'd be helping a fellow old trucker....

The original installation instructions are available too , E-Bay etc. .

Joe's link made for a nice laugh ! .

4. Root2812

Root2812 Member

Just keep your eyes pealed and you may catch a deal. I wanted one badly and I regularly browse the local craigslist for truck parts. Oneday one popped up and I was there same day and scored it for $90 in perfect shape. It was missing some of the dogbone screws so I had to order re-pop ones but it turned out nice.

Waiting until a deal works if you have alot of time, a sign on the back is awesome if you are going to the swap meet, but calling Deadzone is be your fastest best bet if you want a quality one ASAP.

Keep an eye on makeing sure you get the right one, like Nate said. See mine (ugly truck) has a center bracket (47-53) where the 54-55 (nice truck) does not. Oh and ignore the circle on the second pic. I put that there to post in a different thread because I'm looking for a tire cover.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. DeadZoneTruckin

DeadZoneTruckin Member

The only thing the repop visors have done are to raise the price on the original visors.

$500 for a cheapo repop & around $650 for a restored original one.....
    You dont want to know what the NOS Fulton's in the original box go for :eek:

Attached Files:

6. gypsy truck

gypsy truck Member

$100 at swap meet

I paid $100 for mine at a swap meet about 6 years ago. it was in very good condition and only missing one small bracket that i was easily able to locate.

Just like most non essential items - if you put it on your wish list and then keep your eyes, ears and internet searches open, you will be presented with an opportunity to buy. If you are not desperate, then you can afford to wait and look for a better price. I remember I had higher priority items on my list to be bought at the time, but that was a deal i could not pass up and saved me $$ in the long run.

good luck - i think they really make these old trucks that much more classic.

7. Flashlight

Flashlight Member

Greeneville, Tennessee....Looking out over the Smo
    I bought mine foe $160 several years back, when I got it out of the box and played around with it I realized i was missing some of the small pieces and hardware. Joe sent me some thankfully! They weren't cheap but he salvaged my otherwise worthless set-up. I did find a few re-pop center struts and screws on ebay. It was frustrating for awhile!

Then i took it to the body shop for prep and paint, a couple hundred more. I finally got it mounted and its priceless! But....yeah it wasn't cheap, but looks like a million!

Don't know if you can count on Joe to send just pieces for long. So make sure you know the whole set-up before you plunk down the cash, and get all of it.

8. DeadZoneTruckin

DeadZoneTruckin Member

I remember that.... & a week after I let them go.... I bought a visor that was missing those parts & had to locate them all over again :(

9. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

info

someday i will get one other things on list first i had seen one that was beat for the price of a nice one just wanted to see what you guy have found over time. and they do change the look of our trucks cool cool cool.
    thanks for input.
    Robert;)

10. coilover

coilover Member

We pulled a VERY ugly one off a 52 Suburban that I'm not familiar with. It looks like it had been on since day one but would look better (but not good) with the 54 one piece windshield. No center brace and screwed right into the top. The Burb also had the top luggage rack but no idea if this influenced visor design.

Attached Files:

11. PawPaws52

PawPaws52 Member

I got this one off ebay, came from California, $200, took me a week to get all the paint stripped off, must have been on about 6 different vehicles and all they did was sand, prime and paint each time. Good luck on your search, took me a while to find one in my price range. The wife says it give my diamond in the rough an attitude.

Attached Files:

12. Flashlight

Flashlight Member

It looks like did not put the upper screw brace in the door jamb. I had a lot of trouble but it finally got mine in there. Which hollar in East Tennesse are You in? Your truck is awesome, I've not seen it around here in Greeneville.

13. PawPaws52

PawPaws52 Member

The brackets fit nice around the rain gutter and attached to the inside of the door jam, have no binding with the door. I installed using the instructions that was posted online, used the measurements from the bottom of the rain gutter as showed and everything line up. I live in the Sevier County hollor, haven't made it to Greeneville with the truck yet just got it on the road last year, the closest was Newport to the Moonshine Rod Run, you been?

14. Flashlight

Flashlight Member

Naw, When is it? That's "Popcorn" Sutton Country over there. I reckon the "shine" is good, I'm not talkin' Laquer on the cars either.

Newport is only a 30 minute drive, I'm ready for some get togethers, so's my truck. Maybe i'll see you...at least i know what your truck looks like.

15. PawPaws52

PawPaws52 Member

Look forward to seeing you at the Moonshine Rod Run, the dates are June 14-15, seems the Hard Times Street Rod Club website is down, they have the registration form posted there, I know if you register before June 1st it's $25 and $30 at the gate, it's held at the Newport Park off 321. The registration gets you 2 free BBQ dinners hosted by Sagebrush on Friday evening at the park, one of the nicest shows in the area, they average over 500 cars at the show.