Typical windshield questions

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by dorcutt, Feb 19, 2013.

1. dorcutt

dorcutt Member

need to do something with just the rh windshield on the 51 truck. It has a good bulls eye that appears to growing. Have a couple of questions please.
    Can I just pull the one side with out pulling the other side? It looks like a single piece of rubber.

Would you consider giving the job to one of the advertised windshield replacement guys that you read about and come to your home to replace it?

Should I get a new gasket to replace? The old one isn't original and looks to be in good condition.

In reading the forum it looks like it will be a bear to do it myself and am some what aprehensive about trying it. Any help and direction would be appreciated as always. Thanks, Dave

2. Zig

Zig Member

That's a good and interesting question. I look forward to hearing comments on this.
    I remember another truck I had. I no sooner put in new glass and here came a rock. New glass, another rock. New glass, another friggin rock! Thank God my insurance paid to have it replaced while it was parked in the parking lot of my place of business at the time.

3. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Dave, this is a loaded question. First, the windshield gasket is one piece and chances are that you will tear at least half of it up removing the bad glass. My thought would be to get a new gasket, replace the bad glass and re-install the entire windshield unit. While you've got the entire windshield out, inspect the metal around it for rust and repair if necessary.

As far as having a guy come out and repair it for you, be aware that most of them don't have a clue about older vehicles. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, look for a shop that has experience with older vehicles. I've always had good luck with Binswinger.

Lastly, search this forum for ideas on what some of us have done and look at Ol' Chebby's how-to tech threads. Very insightful.

Hope this helps!

Ken

4. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

If your rubber is soft and pliable, yes you can do one pane and not the other. I just did this a few weeks ago on a 51. It does help to have another hand to help hold the glass and push where needed, but I have done it by myself....it ain't fun. Keep your old glass to compare to the new glass, it may need to be trimmed. Look at my tech thread on this.

5. dorcutt

dorcutt Member

Thanks all for the insite. I was thinking about removing the windshields, take the time to clean up the metal around them and then get a windshield company to come out and help me reinstall. Question is how can I get them out with out breaking them as I would like to use the old one to check the new size. Any suggestions, this will be my spring project as to cold in the barn right now. Thanks, Dave

ps. I follow old chebbys threads religiously, thanks

6. Root2812

Root2812 Member

If you plan to replace the rubber just cut the rubber. Both pieces of glass are the same so you can use the good side to match up with your new piece. You probably have to replace the rubber anyways if a company is coming to reinstall because they may not use the old rubber.

7. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Most glass companies WON'T touch old cars......too much liability. You have to find an old timer who used to do it a lot. You can do it yourself fairly easily.

8. gypsy truck

gypsy truck Member

I would suggest you find the nearest "mom & pop" style glass shop (not a chain) as the owner or one of the workers has likely been in the business long enough that they would know what they are doing AND if it is near your place, then likely they would not mind coming by to lend a hand since you would be buying the new glass from them? They may want your old glass to use as a pattern - AND i am assuming that the driver's side is an exact reverse match for the passenger's side. If all you have around you are "chain" stores, then mom & pop might have bought into a franchise and you might still have luck with an older person with vintage car experience - or know of someone who has retired that can help.

I see you are in Canada. I am not sure about where you are, but some of the States here in US require insurance companies to replace broken windshield glass for free (at least it is covered under your policy with no deduction).

good luck

9. jnycnuk

jnycnuk Member

windshield install

i attempted an install with new rubber and new glass. let's just say it was not my finest moment. second time around with steele rubber and a local private windshield shop, much more satisfactory.

10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

New Windshield

No charge ? really ? .

Even in The Peepole's Republik of Californy ?

One of my cars has a severely sand pitted winshield and a bullseye crack....

11. gypsy truck

gypsy truck Member

I found this on the net - not sure how current it is:

The following states have laws that require insurance companies to replace a signficantly damaged windshield and waive the deductible for a driver who has comprehensive insurance:
    • Arizona
    • Florida
    • Kentucky
    • Massachusetts
    • New York
    • South Carolina

12. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

New Windshield

Oh well .

Thanx for trying .

Dollar for Dollar , replacing the windshield in any old vehicle will give you the very best bang for the Buck .

My old Mercedes is rediculous .

13. DeadZoneTruckin

DeadZoneTruckin Member

I had my windshield replaced for free. I have full coverage on my '49 2 ton.

A crack developed & I was able to get the glass company to come out & replace both pieces of glass & I badgered them about the gasket & made them show up with a new Steele Reproductions gasket.

It was kinda nice having someone else do the work while I watched & sipped on a beer.:D

14. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

I replaced my own and didn't charge myself.........is that free?

15. dorcutt

dorcutt Member

windshield

Thanks all for the advise. Interesting piece on the insurence side of things. I keep the truck registered in VT so I think I'l clear. The take away on all the threads that I have searched imply I should use the steel rubber instead of our host, there seems to be one heck of a price difference between the two. Dave

16. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Steele is the shizzznit. It works and is easier to install.

17. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Quality Is Priceless

You'll be sorry if you buy Taiwanese rubbers......

Poor fit and short life .

18. dorcutt

dorcutt Member

Ol Chebby, I'm assuming that was a positive comment on the steel rubber. I'm not ready to take the cheap direction at this point. Thanks again to all for you comments. Dave

19. DeadZoneTruckin

DeadZoneTruckin Member