Noob with some questions...

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by TOMCAT, Feb 26, 2013.

1. TOMCAT

TOMCAT Member

Hi!
    Well, I've been wanting a project vehicle for most of my adult life, and a 1950 3100 fell into my lap (only problem now - I have 3 kids, but there'll only be enough room for 3 total, but that's a different story for a different day). At an auction there was a completely disassembled truck and the opening bid was $50, I bid $75 just trying to get the bids moving as I knew the family that was selling the truck and there were no other bids. The auctioneer worked the crowd for about 5 min and NOBODY bit. I trailered that thing of beauty home with me and it even included a clear title. So, here we are with 3 boxes of parts which I've sorted interior and exterior and a truck with a bunch of parts in my extra garage space. I've opted to put a crate 350 small block in it with a 700R tranny for reliability as I dont want to spend the family time bent over a fender tinkering. However, 95% of the remainder of the truck will be stock from the factory hubcaps to the faded green paintjob. I want to do a frame-up resto and I plan on starting with getting the frame blasted and then starting to work on the reassebly - but there's one small problem... I DON'T KNOW HOW TO REASSEMBLE IT LOL!!! The previous owner told me there was some kind of book that had step by step instructions on putting this gorgeous girl back together, but I dont have a clue what it could be OR what direction to go to find it. So, before I start asking the stupid questions - could one of you fine folks provide me with the name of that book, if there is such a publication?

Thank you very much

TOMCAT

2. SinclairChevy

SinclairChevy Member

TOMCAT,

Welcome to the message boards! You'll find that there are a lot of great folks here who are more than willing to help one another with keeping these old beauties on the road. The book you're seeking, I believe, is the Factory Assembly Manual. It can be purchased from our host, here's the link:

http://www.classicparts.com/1947-54-Factory-Assembly-Manual/productinfo/04-611/#.US4-Q1L1Gvs

If you're halfway computer savvy and can upload photos, we'd love to see pictures of your truck.... or rather.. the boxes of parts of your truck. :D

Damon

3. TOMCAT

TOMCAT Member

Thanks Damon! Right now, she's a shell of what she once was. I'm pretty excited about things and it's actually pretty nice that she's completely disassembled bc I can do things one piece at a time. I plan on using this site extensively w/r to my newest dependant. Anyway, I'm thinking my first step is getting the frame sandblasted, so I can start reassebly.

This should be a very fun ride (pun intended) I'll post some photos later today - time permitting.

4. coilover

coilover Member

If you look at the top of this message board you will see "How to assemble an AD" by ol chebby. Instead of just drawings Russ took actual pictures of doing each step. There's been a number put together following his thread(s).

5. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Thanks, coilover. Also look up my seperate threads as you need them.

6. ccharr

ccharr Member

Welcome aboard Tomcat enjoy the ride while here. Thanks for sharing your story.

Charles

7. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Welcome aboard TOMCAT

I wish you all the best of luck with the groundup resto work. None of your questions about the AD are to stupid to handle at this forum. There are great people from all over the world using the "Chevy Talk" and supporting eachother. Welcome aboard martinius.

This site gives you a lot of information and its free in use ;
    http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/

8. Wolf

Wolf Member

Welcome! Good to see another KS guy here! I know right where clay center is! Been through there a few times. I'm in the KC area! Now to get some pics up of your box o parts!

9. gypsy truck

gypsy truck Member

Going, Going, GONE!

Congratulations on your win! At $75, they probably could have gotten more at the scrap yard, so i am glad to hear you helped save another one from the crusher. Sounds like you have some knowledge and the space, so with that factory manual and help from the experts here, you will do well. Good luck and welcome!

10. john1

john1 Member

Hi Tomcat,

I'm not only a fellow Kansan, I'm also from Clay Center. I haven't lived there for years but my parents still do and I get back a few times a year to visit. (Chicago area for last 20+ yrs) You've got a great AD resource right there in town, Randy Rundle owner of Fifth Avenue Antique Auto Parts. His online store is www.fifthavenueinternetgarage.com Even though his main business today is 6 volt alternators, he got his start as a mail order supplier of AD parts over 25 yrs ago. I'm guessing he would still have at least one AD available to look over for comparison, if not he would still be a great resource. Last I knew he still had his first AD, a truck he started driving in high school in the early/mid 70's. He's located on the north side of Court St between 4th and 5th. You know the place, it has the yellow front clip of the early 50's chevy car attached to the face of the building. He used to collect AD's to sell for parts but I think he sold them all off a few years ago. I don't know if he still is, but at one time he was also the moderator of the electrical forum on the stovebolt website. Next time I'm in town I may stop by and take a look at your pile of parts if I have time.

John

11. TOMCAT

TOMCAT Member

I know Randy well - he's a great guy and has one of the coolest stores i've ever seen. Let me know when you are in town - that'd be great!

12. 2OR4Wheels

2OR4Wheels Member

Wow Tom, you got one hell of a deal!! Awaiting pictures though :D I just bought the repair manual and the assembly manual through Amazon (since I get free 2 day shipping). With all the references online, and the build threads, these books will just supplement. Can never have too many references! Good luck with your build, seems like there are plenty of people around here with years of knowledge. I'm learning everyday!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AKGQCZG/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

13. SkeeterBilt

SkeeterBilt Member

what deal for 75 bucks
    welcome!!! there is some good info on here