New truck, old guy

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Bill Hanlon, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

I officially retired at end of business Thursday. Don't know how long I'll stay retired. Probably will have to do with how long it takes for SWMBO to start singing the Silhouettes 1957 hit "Get A Job".

My quest for a replacement for my '57 GMC is over. With Ken's help (thanks Ken and thanks Sarah for loaning him to me) I have found a replacement. Not as fancy as my previous GMC (look here for the sad story : https://talk.classicparts.com/showthread.php?t=17800 ), but more to Nate's liking.

It is a '52 3/4 ton, 228, 4 speed GMC. That thud you just heard was Zig fainting.

Brand new 7.50x16 LT tires. Front axle swapped to a 1/2 ton with a 5 lug disk brake system added. Rear axle swapped to something newer with a ratio around 3.5:1 and 5 lug hubs.

Aftermarket analog (except for the speedometer/odometer) instruments. Newly upholstered seat. A/C!

Bondo here and there. Paint is pretty amateurish.

Already fixed and repositioned the brake lights. High beams didn't work on the way home last night, but after cycling the hi/low button a few times they seem to be OK now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  2. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

Well, Bill, Let me be the first here to congratulate You, both on your retirement, and the acquisition of your 'New' GMC. I'm sure you'll enjoy retirement as much as I am. Truck looks pretty good. I like the flatbed, too.

Bill Brubaker

3. Thunder54

Thunder54 Member

great color

Very good find Bill.

once you and Ken are both retired, you can pal up and make some of the shows around my corner. next up is the Spindletop Rod Run March 22.

In Nederland.

Jim:D

4. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Trust me guys, I begged him not to buy it!

Bill, Sarah is as disappointed as I am that you bought this truck! Now she doesn't have those afternoon hours of "alone" time to look forward to when we would dash off to look at a possible "buy"! I'm going to miss the thrill of the hunt!:D

All joking aside, you got a good truck there and I look forward to helping you tweak it! I know how excited your daughter and granddaughters were yesterday when we drove it into their driveway, but what was SWMBO's reaction? Bet it was priceless!

Ken

5. Mike1951

Mike1951 Member

Good looking flat bed

Good looking truck Bill. I like the flat bed. Enjoy the truck and retirement. I'll never get to retire, my redhead would divorce me for sure!

Papy

6. SinclairChevy

SinclairChevy Member

I echo the "congrats." Hope you enjoy retirement, and your new GMC pick-up truck.

Damon

7. JW 54

JW 54 Member

Great looking truck Bill.
    What is the story behind it? Where did you get it, how was it used up till now, etc?

8. Larrys 48

Larrys 48 Member

Wtg!

Nice unique truck Bill. Congrats on your retirement. Enjoy the new ride(s). :D

9. ccharr

ccharr Member

Congrats on the retirement Bill, Stay busy.

I really liked your old truck a lot, there is one here in town that reminds me of yours when I see it.

Welcome aboard to the AD page Pilgrim :D , great looking ride great color also enjoy the rides while here.
    What rear-end does it have in it?

Thanks for sharing the photos.

Charles

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  10. Elky67

Elky67 Member

Bill, from a fellow GMC owner, congrats on your "new" ride, i?m sure, you?ll
    have lot?s fun with it !!:):)

Any plans for it so far? Keeping it stock, or rodding it?

Keep us posted;)

Enjoy your retirement; as long as your fit, i think, thats the best time in your life...

11. Wolf

Wolf Member

Thats great Bill!!! Heck I felt that thud when Paul hit the floor;) After all he's only 3 hrs away:)

What are your plans for it right now?

As an owner of the stock form of your truck I can appreciate the fact that they changed the rear end!! Plus if you do that and you are going to be going faster then 45 MPH, then you best change the brakes too!

Glad to see you back up and running. Are you going to keep the flat bed?

12. skalywag

skalywag Member

Bill, That Jimmy is a beauty. Also Congrats on your retirement, I hope you enjoy a well deserved one.
    Cheers,
    Terry

13. GrandpaGlenn0

GrandpaGlenn0 Member

Great looking truck--happy for you!

14. Zig

Zig Member

There IS a God!

And thank God you are STILL a GMC owner!!! And a (former) 3/4 52??? Same as mine? Pinch me, I must be dreaming!!! :p

I am happy for you, Bill! 'Bout dang time! Thanks, Ken! I'm sure you tried to talk Bill into going "cute", but I'm glad he stood fast to "MANLY!" :cool:

Good looking ride, Bill! Makes me wonder what you'll do with it. I've thought long and hard about just making mine a flat bed... 'Course you could add a bed... Hmmm... :rolleyes:

And heck, now that you made the leap into retirement, you can spend your mornings sitting in a chair with a good cup o joe and mull it over in the early morning hours as you sit and watch all your neighbors rolling off to work.

Congrats all the way around, Bill. I love what I do, but I will embrace retirement with both arms! AND, you have a great truck to tinker with!

15. Zig

Zig Member

BTW, spray those tires with some wet black tire spray and see what it looks like then~ Oh HELL yes!

16. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

I don't think you can put that stuff on tube type tires. :p

17. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Zig, no way on putting a pickup bed on this truck! The flat bed is way kick ass! Bill's daughter and granddaughters thought it was way too cool as is. His daughter and I thought it would be cool to paint the front bumper "cream" to match the grille or go with a chrome bumper, but the flat bed, stomp starter and horn have to stay!

I'm tickled for Bill and so is his family! Your job is to come up with a design for side boards for this bad boy!

Ken:cool:

18. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Dunno about the horn. It sounds pretty sick.

And speaking of horns, how does one remove the horn button from a '52 GMC?

19. Zig

Zig Member

Apparently I know, since mine was off, and now it's back on... Been so long, I don't rightly remember. Seems like it came off with the use of a screw driver?

20. Zig

Zig Member

Like I said, I've thought about making a flat bed out of mine, too. Put some lawn chairs on it, fire up the grill, great for tailgate parties or parked watching the 4th of July fireworks. Not to mention, hauling stuff~
    Chrome or cream, that is the question!