New guy checking in

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by DUGGAN, Mar 1, 2013.

1. DUGGAN

DUGGAN Member

Just dropping in to say hi and to get my first post out of the way so that when I start asking questions you wont be asking who I am lol. I inherited my 1951 Chevy 1/2 ton 5 window from my Grandfather, he lived in a very small California town and he was a bit of a tinkerer you could say. He (with help from his friend that owned a tow company) swapped alot of stuff out, and because he is no longer with us I am having trouble identifying certain parts but I'll save that for a later post. Years ago I bought a front/rear disk brake conversion kit and when I went to put it on is when I found out things weren't kosher lol. I have discovered the front and rear are 3/4 ton (so my disk break kit won't work), have a sinking suspiscion that the manual tranny and brake master cylinder aren't original, he filled the dash where the guages go and then cut it out for the 56 style guage cluster.

So as y'all can see I'm going to have a ton of questions to float your collective way, my project officially begins tomorrow when my son and I get out and start making a parts list. Pictures will hopefully follow as well.

2. SinclairChevy

SinclairChevy Member

Welcome to the message boards! As you'll soon learn, you've come to the right place to seek answers to your questions. There are many helpful folks here: Russ, Nate, Ken, Zig, and many others. Russ has been a huge help to us newcomers with his series of how-to's regarding our old pick-ups. Snoop around on here some and you might even be able to answer some of your questions before you get a chance to ask them.

Love the story about your truck. Looking forward to seeing photos of it when you get the chance (hint, hint). Kick back and enjoy the ride, you'll like it here.

Damon

3. ccharr

ccharr Member

Welcome aboard, enjoy the ride while here.

Charles

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Welcom duggan !

As mentioned , we love pictures .

As long as you bought the 3100 (1/2 ton) kit , it should be do - able ~ the very nature of old vehicles and Hot Rods is to adapt and make do so don't despair .

Many here have gone where you now tread , as you come up with questions , they'll be able to help as well as looking at older threads .

5. DUGGAN

DUGGAN Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ok so there are some pics of what I've got going on so far. I have pulled up a few parts suppliers for some necessary items (gas tank, drivers side window etc.) but so far most have fairly large shipping costs which I understand but who has the best rates shipping oversized stuff to Cali.? If someone could post up pics of the radio cut out or let me know if mine looks like/close to original I'd appreciate it. As of right now the utility bed is staying on and I'm more than likely going to go 3/4 ton front and rear drums (good source for parts and years that are compatible?). Thanks in advance, I'll post more pics as things progress.

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Work Rig

Looks O.K. to me .

You're in Cali. so no need for shipping much ~

Loads of all years old trucks about anywhere in Cali. , try your local Pick-A-Part Yard , you'll be well pleased as 3/4 & 1 Ton V-8 trucks are $pendy to run so being scrapped by the hundreds right now ..

7. Zig

Zig Member

Welcome, duggan!

Interesting ride you have there!

If interested in making the disc kit work, all you have to do is get a half ton front axle. (You might be able to stick a 5 lug disc set on a 3/4 ton axle, I'm not sure that anyone would know why this wouldn't work~)

Looks like a fun project, and it already has V8 power. Thanks for the pictures, and we're here for ya'!

8. DUGGAN

DUGGAN Member

Already have the 1/2 ton axle, in fact it's under the truck right now. It's the rear and possibly the tranny that are holding me up. The rear is 3/4 ton I know I can swap it out but I don't know what was switched around to get it in there and the tranny isn't original (an uncle told me it was from something other than what I have but didn't know what or from where exactly). All things I'll find out when I start tearing it down, but the 3/4 ton stuff will more than likely stay just because I like the ride height and my Gramps had a reason for swapping it out and who am I to argue lol? I'll figure out where I'm going with this thing over the next few months and I'll be sure to post up the progress.

9. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

Sweet truck

Welcome where in cali are you many truck parts stores close by. Truck shop brothers and on and on
    welcome
    robert