swapping 55 front clip for 58 front clip

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by scarab777, Dec 28, 2008.

1. scarab777

scarab777 Member

My question is whether or not the swap out is just bolt it up on not. I am looking at a 58 to buy and want to put a 55-56 front clip on it. That means fenders, hood, radiator support, etc...

Any help out there on this question??????

2. chevymantrucks

chevymantrucks Member

Hey,

Well the 58-59 frames are 2 inches longer then the 55-57 and the hood hinges are different .If you move the radiator supports on the frame back 2 inches cut a little off the front of the frame and widen the hood hindge holes it will bolt up.

Cliff

3. scarab777

scarab777 Member

swapping out front clips

Hey...it's my fellow Northern Cali guy... I am Steve from Fair Oaks but now residing in Idaho. Thanks for the infor. Have you done this change out?
    The moving the radiator support is no big deal but the hood hindge bolt holes have me a little concerned.

Can you give me a buzz when ya get a chance. I still have my Cali number

Steve 916-747-4653

Thanks, Steve

4. chevymantrucks

chevymantrucks Member

Hey steve,

The call is on the way.

Cliff

5. RustyEnglish

RustyEnglish Member

I have a 55 2nd ed truck and I want to put a 58-59 hood on it. Will it fit fenders and all? What will I have to do to make it like the following link? This link has what I want with the single headlights and dipped hood. http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/01/prices-for-classic-pickups-pick-up-at-auctions.html

6. RustyEnglish

RustyEnglish Member

What did you do with your 58 hood?

7. BAM55

BAM55 Member

My truck is a 58 cab with a 55 front end. You have to use the complete 55-57 front end if you want the single head lights. The firewall hood hinge holes are a little different but not a big deal. The 58 frame is about 2 1/2 inches longer in front of the radiator supports. Just mount the fenders and cut it off. Its and easy swap and a lot of people have done it.

From this
    [​IMG]

To this

[​IMG]