A bit different

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by coilover, Mar 10, 2013.

1. coilover

coilover Member

I went to look at a 53 3W that has a 2.3 Ford Turbo engine in it that is very nicely installed. The man wants something with quite a bit of power and fuel mileage in the mid 20's. Engine is from a T-Bird Turbo Coupe and shows to have 190HP and 240 lbft torque and that's from just 140 cubic inches. Googled 2.3 Ford turbo and it apparently is faily cheap to get 300HP and up to 500HP if spending big bucks. Should move an AD very well since they must be close to 800#'s lighter than a T-Bird. Wants us to do the fuel system and stand alone wiring harness. I can see a fairly extensive "test drive" on the horizon.

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Wheeeee !

Sounds like fun .

Isn't there some Generous Motors engine that'll do the same job ? .

3. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Evan, isn't it against the law to put a F*rd engine in a chevy?:D

4. fab51

fab51 Member

I don't know. Plenty of people shove a Chevrolet engine in a brand "F" vehicle. Seems like a fitting twist...

5. Flashlight

Flashlight Member

Greeneville, Tennessee....Looking out over the Smo
    I'm subscribed to this post Evan.............there is someone here who put in a newer GM either small four or six with fuel injection. Coupled with a newer OD tranny you could get mid-twenties. It was so small a block that it really looked to be in balance with the motor compartment......like it was made to go there. Sometimes the 350's with AC an all look too big for the truck.

6. coilover

coilover Member

Nate,
    GM does make a four cylinder engine with a turbo called an Ecotech. It has DOHC and Hot Rod ran an article on it where they got over 800 hp out of it, not bad for under 150 cubic inches. I mentioned this to the man with the 53 and he said the Mustang/T-Bird turbo engines could be picked up from the yards for $250 or so while the GM Ecotech was five or six times that amount. His billfold won the argument.

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Engine Choices

I hear you Evan ;

I'm a Bowtie Guy down to my Wingtip Safety shoes but , I am also aware that the Brand 'F' people have made plenty of perfectly good small and big block engines , both carburetted and fuel injected .

Just don't hold yer breath waiting to see one in my vehicles .

F.I. is always better but my old Chevy retains it's original Rottenchester Monojet aluminum (another stupid idea that doesn't work well) carby and runs just fine and gets good fuel economy to boot , worn out 250 L6 and all .